Chapter 6: Appalled

Track list for this chapter:

Anything Could Happen - Ellie Goulding

Pumped Up Kicks - Foster The People

-----

Claire's POV

Both texts are from the nameless guy.

*Daydreaming about me or what? ;)*

*And I've got a question to ask you*

I reply, *I will answer anything, but first I need to know your name.*

*Evans, Ryder Evans*

I stare at the text on the screen. The name is different like I hoped.

*Ok Ryder, what is that you wanted to ask me?*

*I was hoping to take a special girl on date. Do you have anyone in mind?*

*Sorry my mom is married*

*Haha very funny but I was hoping that you'd go out with me next Friday*

*Are you sure you can keep up with me?*

*I think I'm capable of handling you, Claire ;)*

*Pick me up @ 7 and don't be late*

*I knew there was something I liked about you*

Ryder Evans is taking me on an actual date. The thought is suprising and horrid at the same time. I don't know the dude, except his name. 

-----

This week has been dragging. It's barley Tuesday and I'm ready for a fucking break. At least the poetry slam will be held today. I am in the top 15 moving on to the next round. I'm going to recite a poem that I've been working on for a while.

"How'd your date go with Taylor?" I ask Gavin while wiggling my catipillar eyebrows, or so Gavin calls them.

He laughs, standing behind the counter, "It was great, we went to watch a chick flick and got ice cream afterwards."

"You didn't save me some? What kind of a friend are you?" I joke, "And that's good to hear."

"Claire, is there something you're hiding from me?", he slowly strides to me.

"What do you mean?"

"You seem happier today, now spill."

"Fine, I met this guy, we started texting, and he asked me out but no biggie."

"Uh yes biggie. You haven't been on a date since -" he stops and my heart aches. "Claire, I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to bring it up."

"It's okay."

-----

Finally, after what seems like an eternity, it's almost time to close up the cafe.

"Could you grab my things from the back while I check the cash registers?" Gav asks.

I nod and walk to the back. He told me his combination in case he forgets, which is always. I unlock his locker and grab his keys and coat. A scream towards the front startles me. 

I run as fast as I could. Just as I turn the corner, I'm horrified at what is in front of me. I face a guy with a mask, holding Gavin against the wall. In his hand is a gun, pointing it directly at his head. Everyone else is silently on the ground.

"Give me the money in the cash register or else I shoot him!" He raises his deep voice. The look on Gavin's face tells me that I need to do something quickly. 

My heart pounds against my chest as if it were to explode any moment now. I just remembered that I have my phone in my back pocket. I slowly open the cash register and purposefully drop money on the floor. I bend down, pull my phone out from behind the counter and frantically dial 911.

"Chicago Police Department, what's your emergency?"

"There's a robbery at Dana's Cafe on the corner of Falby Lane.", I whisper.

"Hurry the fuck up!", the robber shouts. 

I try and buy some time. "Give me a sec.", I say while walking slowly towards the man.

The police sirens get louder and louder. "I'm gonna give you 5 seconds before this bullet goes through his skull." He threatens. "5...4...3...2..."

"CPD, Freeze!" The police officers come barging in. A gunshot echos through the building.