Chapter 1: Defend

Track list for this chapter:

Warrior - Demi Lovato

Heavy In Your Arms - Florence + The Machine

-----

Claire's POV

Exhausted. That's what I am and the fall Chicago weather is not helping my sleepiness. I regret sleeping at 1AM yesterday...and the days before that. It's that I've been wrapped up in writing poems.

See, I have this love for poetry. I believe they express what is need to be said but in written form. And most importantly, it gets all the feelings out that was once enclosed inside you. I keep all of the poems I've written in this raggedy, brown journal, decorated with colorful jewels. I had this journal for as long as I can remember so that explains the decor.

I brush my long, brown, wavy hair and apply my mascara and eye liner to look a little decent. As I slip on my white, button-up blouse, black leather jacket, blue jeans, and my white converse for work, I hear shouting from downstairs, louder than usual.

My dad is an abusive asshole. Always have been and always will be. My mom, on the other hand, is weak, mentally and physically. She lets him abuse her throughout her life. I can't stress enough how many times I begged her to leave that bastard, but her answer was always the same. My mom is too afraid to go to the police because we need the money.

I walk out my room to see my father and mother arguing. As I open the cabinet and reach for a bowl, I hear screaming followed by something shattering from the living room. Dropping the bowl, I run to the living room. I realized what made the sharp shattering sound when I saw the living room lamp broken into pieces.

"You never do crap around here!!", my dad falsely accuse.

"Yes I actually do! If you were around more and not running off with some whore all the time, you would realize that I cook, clean, and put up with your shit!!"

My mom has her arms in front of her as my father approaches her. My father slaps her and was attempting do it again, but I grab ahold of his burly arm in time. He struggles and in no time was out of my reach. Just as his arm flys up, I grab my mom and run into the restroom nearby.

We sit on the bathroom floor, trying to figure out what the hell we're gonna do. My thoughts are interrupted by the slamming of our front door.

"Mom, are you okay?" I pant, trying to catch my breath.

"Yes honey, but are you?" She sobs as she points to my cheeks.

I stand up in front of the mirror and see what she was talking about. There on my cheek was blood from a deep scratch. My father probably scratched me when I jerked his hand away. I was too worried to even notice.

-----

A/N: Lily Collins plays Claire Sherwood