Hiding Your Hand

Why couldn't she be more helpful to her friends?

The next day, Fuuka and the two of them weren't allowed to go to school and were forced to stay inside the building. They were given some meagre food and fluids to keep them going, but nothing more than that.

After that night, Kishimaru had also been keeping an eye on them. The other three Shadow Whisperers had been chatting to them on and off (Yoko had been falling asleep periodically throughout the day and Hakori had been awake almost the whole time, struggling to fall asleep) but once he was around, no-one said a whisper.

She wasn't sure what her friends were doing at school. Did they decide not to go to Tartarus? Were they going about their lives normally? To keep them safe? To keep each other safe?

Somehow, doubt had settled in that Strega and the Shadow Whisperers probably wouldn't leave the situation as it was—that is, leaving them alive.

If there was anyone that could help them right now, it was them. She refused to give up.

She didn't dare try summoning her Persona while they were there. Moreover, they'd taken their dangerous belongings, like Sachiko's gun, Evokers and even his compendium. The realisation came that she'd been able to talk to the members of SEES even without Lucia being summoned once before.

Fuuka tried first to probe into Minato's mind, seeing as he'd probably be familiar with it. It wouldn't necessarily freak him out and he knew how to talk back to her, by sending some silent messages through their mind link.

It was a strange experience poking into Minato's mind for communicating while he was on patrol. It was almost like it was a small, light space which she could fill in with speech and information, while the rest of it was blocked off. She wasn't sure how, or why.

Right now, that small space was gone. Her mind link wouldn't connect, vainly pushing against bricked walls of darkness. Minato appeared to be asleep, but something was off about it.

No-one got results when they tried only once, however. If she could somehow peer hard enough in, or stay for longer, perhaps she could find out something. Anything.

Breathing in, deeply, she branched her mind link into it, attempting to call out for his name. "Minato-kun? Can you hear me?" Fuuka asked, however hesitantly.

What reached her was the quiet, but distinct sound of what she'd describe as 'beached waves'. Waves, so far from home, having given up... letting out sighs of defeat. It sounded very much like when Minato was talking to other Shadows in Whispers. That was probably exactly what it was.

As Fuuka listened, however, she felt a migraine creep in at first, attacking her, piercing into her ears and infiltrating her mind. The beached wave sound grew louder, angrier. They rose with fury, attempting to swallow her consciousness.

She snapped the link. Fuuka shook her head. What was wrong with him?

With a sigh of resignation, she took a momentary rest. It seemed that none of the others had figured out what she was doing. There wasn't a sign of it, at least. She hoped at least, that the red haired member from before wouldn't notice this.

Her only other option now was to reach Sachiko. She hadn't been doing much since Kishimaru had arrived.

Breathing now even, she connected her mind to hers. It was always a strange sensation. An invisible rope tying together to separate minds. An odd, two way tunnel of thought.

Sachiko's mind was unlike any other mind that she'd linked to. Fuuka was used to connecting with other Persona users. Linking with someone else who apparently didn't have a Persona was a new experience.