Chapter 17

Sorry for the unexcused wait guys. Here's the next chapter, as terrible as it is.

Disclaimer: I think we all know what I'm going to say here.

_______________________________________

TOBIAS

When school starts up again, I head to school, my mind racing with ways by which I can talk to Tris again. My Bea. How could I have been so stupid?

I don't care if Marcus or Andrew don't approve. I just know that when I'm with her, nothing else matters. I can be myself with her. It's only her. And if Andrew and Marcus do serve as a threat in our lives, then I know I can get through it with her.

Her. But where is she?

My eyes search frantically among the swarm of students, but I can't seem to find her anywhere. Did she miss school today?

After a few minutes, I shake my head disappointedly and head to my locker. I enter my combination, but the locker remains closed. I try again, getting the same result. The third time doesn't do the trick either. Okay, now I'm pissed, and I've only been here for ten minutes.

Frustrated, I slam my fist against my locker. A calm hand rests on my shoulder, stopping me from potentially denting the locker.

"Calm down, dude." Zeke.

I grumble and try opening my locker again. "Sorry." This time it opens. Zeke waits for me as I retrieve my materials from my locker and we begin walking towards the classrooms. Unfortunately our journey was stopped all to soon by...

Nita.

She gives me a flirty smile. "Hey Four!" Then she takes something out of her pocket. "Tris told me to give you this. She said you could change it to an 'N'." She says, handing me a necklace. Then I realize that it's the same necklace that I gave her all those years ago.

"I got you something," I tell her. I take out a box from my pocket and open it, revealing a shiny necklace with the letter "T" on it that I had gotten specially for her. "Here. I have the bracelet one, see?" I say, pointing to his wrist. "This way, we'll never forget each other, no matter where we are."

"Thank you, Tobias." She says, tears flowing like a river on her face. "Toby, I'll miss you so much".

"I'll miss you too, Bea" I say, wiping her tears.

Nita continues to thrust the necklace in my direction. I take it from her, but I know I'm not going to be having it changed any time soon. Placing it in her pocket so that it's out of reach, I tell her the truth up front.

"Listen Nita, I don't know what happened at the party, but all I know is that you took advantage of me. As terrible as that is, I'll let you go on one condition. That you leave me and Tris the hell alone? Understood?" I say quietly, which I found seems more dangerous than yelling. She gulps and nods. At least that is taken care of.

I'm about to walk off, but then I see her. She and Christina are chatting quietly by her locker. I push my way through the crowd, Zeke long forgotten, and make my way towards her.

"Tris!" I say when I'm almost there. She looks in my direction and her eyes widen. Then she and Christina scuttle off, leaving me alone. I run a hand through my hair. This is going to be harder than I thought.

_______________________________________

Science couldn't be weirder. We still haven't moved seats, so Tris is still sitting next to me. When I entered the class she was doodling in her notebook and failed to meet my eyes. She didn't look up once the entire period, not even when Ms. Mathews wrote on the white board.