Chapter 9

Please remember I'm uploading and publishing as I'm writing so you will most probably come across errors and bad writing. Forgive me!

-

I woke feeling weak and hungry. My dad had spoke of hangovers many times, when he’d drunk more than his weight in beer at a business meeting then regretted it the next day. He spoke of headaches and eyes as heavy as bricks. I felt what I could only imagine a hangover felt like.

“You’re crazy! We agreed, and the boss told us not to show our identity!” Jay said in a shouty whisper.

“Dude, relax. She’s not going to tell anyone anything.”

“How’d you know that? I’m telling you, the boss isn’t going to be happy.”

Still lying down, I lifted my head, one eye open, and saw them near the front seats. Tommy didn’t have his mask on, Jay did.

“This wasn’t part of the plan, Tommy!”

“Well, you tell ‘the boss’ this should have been over and done with two days ago. Make the call and tell them to stop stalling!”

I sat up slowly and the two men turned their heads to look at me. The thought of them having someone else involved made me shiver.

Tommy seemed laid back, a little too laid back. While Jay stormed to the front of the van, Tommy stretches his arms high up in the air. His t shirt lifted and showed a little line of hair running from his belly button down into his pants. The van pulled away, knocking my body into the wall. I rubbed my eyes and curled up into the corner. I felt woozy and my stomach gurgled, an overwhelming sensation of nausea came in waves. We drove for only around ten minutes before we stopped again.

Jay Jumps up from his seat. Tommy Blue Eyes stood his ground. The two seemed to be in some sort of quiet argument, but I couldn’t make out what was being said. I heard a lot of effing and jeffing, but that was all. Tommy then turned and stormed towards me. My whole body tensed and heart sped up, but he walked right past me and picked up the same black backpack he’d pulled a t shirt from last night. He then walked to me and stopped up my arm. Like a puppet I obeyed and stood up. My legs felt like jelly and I worried that at any moment they’d give out. It wasn’t just hunger, it was being seated for so long. All my muscles felt like they’d died off.

“I’m taking her. Make the call. I’m not fucking around like this,” Tommy said. He pressed something on a set of keys he pulled from his cargo pocket, and the door beeped. He then pulled it along and the cold, fresh air hit me in the face. I wanted to hold out my arms and bask in the winter sun and enjoy air that wasn’t filled with smoke, but Tommy jumped out and pulled me with him. Barely giving me a chance to react.

My bouncy trainers land on the cement pavement with a thud, and it takes me a moment to get my balance. My heart beat faster as I wondered if he was taking me somewhere to shoot me, or worse. The two men give each other a glare, before Jay slams the door shut.

“Let’s go,” Tommy said.

I did as instructed and I walked by his side. My legs enjoyed the exercise, although I found it difficult to keep up with his long strides. Walking next to him made me realise just how big and tall he really was. He was at least a while head bigger than me, and shoulders as wide as a house. He had his backpack slung over one shoulder, and I noticed another little scar on his neck behind his ear.

When I looked around I realised we were at some kind of holiday park. Behind a fence were rows and rows of caravans. All I could think about was running, screaming at the top of my lungs and banging on all the doors in search of help. But Tommy’s hand firmly grasping my shoulder made me stop still. Even the thoughts in my brain stilled.