Chapter 4

The silver moon was at its peak in the black night sky, illuminating a soft white glow along with the scattered stars. A cold night breeze blew through the village, gently cooling down the hot streets. Most of the buildings were dark inside, signaling that the day had ended for whoever occupied those buildings. Very few torches were lit in the village to give some light for the monsters that made their way to their homes or into Inns, tired from a long day of work and ready for a good nights rest.

However, the Sea Level Tavern was still brimming bright with life as monsters continued to celebrate Inks birthday. Everyone was swaying and dancing to the music that played. Slurred voices rang out through the restaurant as people made up their own songs, clutching onto each other for support. Joy and laughter filled the air, showing little to no signs of stopping.

Currently, Blue and Dream were dancing around each other, seeing who could do the best dance moves. Rus was at the bar counter of the diner, chatting with his pal Grillby as the fire monster made cocktails, screwdrivers, and all kinds of drinks for different people without even looking.

That leaves the party boy, or more like man now, who had been placed on a throne created from wooden boards and wood mugs and a "crown" on his head made up of forks, spoons, and twine. He was laughing and smiling along with everyone else in the diner, happy that everyone here was having such a great time. But........it didn't feel right to him......even with all this joy around him, his heart still hurt.....

While everyone was distracted by the next sing along, Ink slipped off the throne and placed the crown on top of it before sneaking towards the staircase in the restaurant and heading towards the roof. When he got to the top, he was relieved to see that no one else was up there with him. That meant he could be alone for awhile. The edges of the roof had railings all around it, with beautiful flowers swirling around the wooden beams. The view of the town was gorgeous in the dim moonlight, wispy clouds danced through the dark sky led by the gentle wind.The balcony gave off a peaceful and quiet feeling, making it comfortable for Ink to be here with his own thoughts

Ink walked up to the railing and leaned against it, keeping his head up and his eyes on the shining stars. They shined down on him, a few even sparkling as they reflected off of his baby blue and star yellow eyes. Inks left hand slowly made its way to the string on his neck and pulled the half coin out into view. He gently rubbed his thumb against it, feeling small tears gather at his eye sockets as he kept his gaze to the stars. A small smile rested on his face, the memory of what his father told him all those years ago before he left.........

--------------------------------------------------------------

"Please don't go pappa! Why are you leaving?! Please don't leave me here!!

The child's small hands gripped onto the slightly torn and dirty trousers of a taller skeleton man who looked down at him with sad white eyes. A brown sack was swung over his shoulder and a sailors cap rested on his head. The docks ahead of them were full of men who were busy stocking a ship, preparing to take off to sea.

"I have to go Ink. This is the only job I have, remember? I'll be back in a few weeks...."

Tears started to swell up in the small skeletons eyes as he looked up at him. Small hicks could be heard as he tried to fight his own tears.l from falling.

"T-Then let me come with you! I can be useful and fight, I swear!!"

Sadness and desperation filled the small voice. The mans eyes held sadness and grief seeing his son in such a state. Kneeling in front of the child, he gently grabbed Ink and pulled him into a strong, warm hug that Ink quickly returned. Ink buried his little head into his fathers shirt, the tears that fell down his face staining it. He tried to shut his eyes closed tight to stop his crying, but it didn't work. His sniffles and sobs kept going, but they were quieter this time. Inks voice cracked as he choked out.