Chapter 6

Bang! Crash! BOOM!

The gunfire from the savage pirates and large explosions from their dynamite rang through their ears as the group of friends sprinted down the dusty smoke filled street, avoiding the tall walls of flames and trying their best to stay on track and not trip over their own feet, as well all the corpses of civilians that littered the ground. Multiple charred and bloodied bodies covered the road, making it hard to even see the ground they were running on. Ink tried to keep his head up and his eyes focused, but seeing some of the faces under his feet, the faces of monsters he used to know, it only set sorrow and pain in his heart, knowing that all these good monsters were gone forever now.

He could hear the footsteps of his friends following close behind him, probably as shocked and hurting at the sights just like him. He could hear the small sniffles and cries that came from the blue bundle in Rus's arms as well as the hard breathing and panicked pants of Dream in the back. This is terrible, his friends are such good natured and innocent people, but now that Blue has been severely injured and Dream is nearing a break down from all this hell they're surrounded by, Ink knew it would scar them forever. Rus was keeping his composure as they ran through the streets, not sparing a single glance at the horrors below his own feet. He needed to stay focused, both for his own sanity, and for his brothers safety.

"There it is!!"

Ink couldn't help but to let out a cry of joy, seeing that the house him and the two brothers lived in was still standing. However, tall walls of flames were beginning to close in on the building, nearly touching the wooden walls on the outside as well as the front deck. Their time was very limited.

"Ink, Dream, grab everything useful! Clothes, food, weapons, anything that can help us! We need to get the F**k outta here!"

Dream wasted no time and rushed into the house, Ink however felt worried about leaving his friends behind in the streets unprotected. What if one of the pirates came around?

"Ink what are you waiting for?! GO!"

The loud and demanding shout from Rus triggered the reaction he wanted in Ink as he then turned and followed in Dreams footsteps into the house.

Dream was already busy as a panicked bee inside, stuffing food and medicine supplies into bags as he tried to keep himself calm and focus. Inks first reaction was to sprint upstairs and gather together as much clothing for himself the brothers, and for Dream as fast as he can. Rushing into all their rooms one at a time, he had gathered a handful of clothing each, sadly having to leave behind his paints and paint sets as well as other belongings that the brothers had. The flames by now had reached the house and were burning through the walls, they don't have long now.

Ink jumped over the stair railing to get down to the ground floor faster and went for the final item they needed. Rus only showed it to him once, and said specifically that it was for emergency situations only and they would get in trouble if caught with it by townspeople. Ink never understood why they had to hide it before, but what he did know was that this was an emergency situation now, as it was obvious while they ran all the way over here.

Ink was pulling at the wooden boards in the ground desperately in the middle of the living room , wood chips digging into his hands as he pulled and tore. When he finally got the boards off, he saw before him the Family sword. The black with gold embroidered sheath shone with the surrounding flames, the one blood red jewel embedded at the end of the hilt giving off a faint glow. It wasn't extremely big, yet disappointingly small, it being about half of Inks height, yet feeling like it weighed nothing. It was the perfect size to carry around and still cause damage in Inks mind. His train of thought snapped when a burning wooden beam landed not one foot in front of him, spreading more flames throughout the house. Their time was up.