The Promise is Being Fulfilled

Chapter 4

Rosella's father, Roland, confronted her after the party. 

"What's the matter with you?! You're a fool for not accepting his offer." he said.

"Stop it! I don't love him. I love Alan. Don't you understand?! I love Alan!" Rosella protested. She earned a slap from her father. 

"You're delusional! Alan is dead, Rosella! He's no longer here in this world. Sweetheart, you need to move on." Roland spoke. 

"I don't care! I won't marry someone who treats me like property. I'm sorry, Father." she spoke. Roland gave up trying to convince his daughter. So he left Rosella's room. As soon as he walked out of the room, our heroine wrote a letter. When dawn broke, she left the manor.

The next day, Alan went  to their secret place to reminisce the days when they were together. 

'Our promise is nothing but a childish dream now.' he thought. He was about to leave when Rosella came. He was surprised.

"Rosie? What are you doing here? I thought-"

"I rejected his proposal, Alan. You told me not to let my heart be dictated by someone. Well, I listened to my heart and, it led me to you. You're the one I love, Alan. No one but you. After all, we made a promise to each other. Don't you remember?" she asked. This made Alan smile. 

"I'm glad you still remembered. I thought you already forgot about that. " Alan said.

"I won't forget it." she replied. Alan couldn't stop himself from pulling Rosella closer to him and giving her a passionate kiss. The moment was perfect until Sinclair ruined it. He was crying tears of joy.

"I'm so happy for you, Alan! You have found your true love!" he said. 

"Oh for the love of angels, just stop it! You're embarrassing me, Sinclair!" Alan reprimanded. When Rosella heard of the name, she hid behind her lover.

"Don't worry, my dear. I won't hurt you." Sinclair spoke.

"Worry not, Rosie. He's an ally, though I understand your fear of him. That brother of mine is by far the most eccentric man in all of England." Alan said. Sinclair glared at him while Rosella let out a laugh.

"Yes, he's a bit eccentric and all but I'm glad he's fond of you."

"Fond of me? Oh please. He's a million times worse than Alvin. Believe me."

"We should head back to the castle. it's getting a bit late." Sinclair said and the three of them went to the castle. 

Meanwhile...

"What?! She ran away?! H-How?" Alvin asked.

"We don't know, Milord. She left us a letter." Roland said and gave it to Alvin.

"To whom I've left behind,

I'm terribly sorry to cause pain to all of you, especially Mother and Father. I have come to realize that my heart's law will prevail above others. So I left everything that I know and love in order to find my true self.

Alvin, may you find true love in someone else rather than me. 

Sincerely,

Rosella"

After reading it, Alvin threw it in the fire place. His eyes mirrored his anger.

"Let her be. It's her choice anyway." Alvin said and walked away from the manor. He went home and fetched himself a bottle of whiskey.

"Even in death, you stole away everything that was mine. May your soul burn in hell, little brother.

The next day, Sinclair was drinking a glass of ale when a familiar presence appeared. He smiled for his cousin has dropped by for a visit.

"It's been a long time, my dear Illyanna." he said.