The Moment of Surrender

Chapter 9

While on a ship bound for Scotland, Illyanna was watching her brother cheering Rosemary up. She smiled to herself though a sad one it was. It reminds her of her son again. 

"Illyanna?" Alan called. The woman turned and saw our hero holding a goblet of blood from himself. She took it and drank. 

"I couldn't thank you enough for saving my wife and my child. I was wrong about you. I'm really sorry." he spoke. Rosemary's childish laugh could be heard and it broke the ice somehow. 

"I was wrong about both of you, Alan. I'm the one who should be sorry. But it doesn't matter to me anymore. As long as I keep your daughter and your wife safe, I will be able to walk in this world with no regrets. However, I see another dire future for you and Rosella. Will you still love her no matter what happens to you?" 

"Yes. After all, I took a vow that I will love her and protect her, even if it will result to my demise. That's how much I love her." Alan answered. 

After a long trip, their group arrived in a castle on the Highlands. A young man was expecting them.  He was smiling at Ivan who seems to be happy to see him.

"Oi Grandpa! Going a bit slow, I see. Who are these good-looking folk?" he asked.

"Hello, Robert! These are our distant cousins from London. This is Alan, his wife Rosella, and their little bundle of joy, Rosemary. They're staying here for a while." Ivan introduced.

"Who is he?" Rosella asked.

"He's Ivan's great grandson. If I'm not mistaken, he's the same age as you, Alan." Illyanna answered.

Robert lets them inside the castle where the Porthosa family resides for many generations. Ivan was the one who founded it during the 12th century. 

"Make yourself at home. By the way, how old are you?" Robert asked Alan.

"Well, I'm just 19 years old." he replied. 

"Well then, I suppose I have to leave you and your wife alone. Good night." Robert said and left. Suddenly, Alan had an urge to feed. He couldn't risk Rosella's life just to satisfy his thirst. If things went wrong while he feeds on her, he wouldn't forgive himself. Rosella sensed this so she puts Baby Rosemary in to her crib and touched her husband's cheeks.

"Alan, are you all right? You don't have to keep secrets from me. You can tell me anything. I'm your wife as well as your friend." Rosella spoke.

"I...My thirst for blood must be quenched. But, there's no animals here for miles. And if I feed on you, things would go wrong. I don't want to hurt you but-"

"Shhh.... it's all right, Alan. It won't hurt me because I know you wouldn't let that happen. I trust you, Alan. So go ahead. Feed on me." she beckoned. She revealed her neck to her husband. Alan saw the trust in her eyes and his fears subsided. He gently bit her. Rosella moaned with pleasure while Alan feeds. He licked his wife's wound after. They fell asleep, not knowing that Vladimir infiltrated the castle without being noticed. He grabbed the sleeping Rosemary and left a note. The next day, Rosella and Alan found out their little girl went missing.