The Awakening

Chapter 1

Rob’s eyes slowly opened to see a dimly lit ceiling. His vision was blurry, he could hardly see anything. All of it was just a blur. Nothing made sense at the moment. He tried to move his body, pulling back and forth with his arms when he realised that he was sitting in a chair that he noticed he wasn’t tied up to. No ropes, no ties, nothing.

He was just sitting there, as if nothing was happening. Sitting still, staring into nothingness, waiting for something to happen, even if it wasn’t something that was welcomed.

There was a sudden throbbing pain that he had never felt before, something that felt so strange that it seemed, unrealistic; so he placed a gentle hand on the back of his neck, not knowing what he would find. To Rob’s surprise, all he felt was a small, rough bump, almost like a scar, as if he had cut himself. He tried to remember anything, anything at all. Nothing came to his mind.

After a while, Rob was starting to make sense of the environment, and he bared witness to the sight of the small storeroom that he was in. It was still, silent, nothing was moving, no-one else was in there with him, he was alone.

There were a few empty cardboard boxes that were stacked un-neatly in a corner but besides that, there was simply a sturdy little door, which Rob claimed as the exit, seeing as it was the only door in the room. A baseball bat, and an assortment of tools scattered across the floor were really the only other objects that Rob thought were worth recognising.

Rob’s legs started to gain some discomfort and ached from the position he had been sitting in. He felt like he hadn't moved for days. Who knows, he might have been siting there, unconscious, for days. He sure started to feel hungry, thirsty and completely depleted. Going a long time without food and water could sure deplete someone to their lowest low. Rob tried not to worry too much about the details, as he would soon regret even thinking about them.

The light bulb that was suspended above the chair was growing ever so dimmer, flickering on and off, it was surely going to die completely soon. Rob started to wonder how well he would really go in the dark. He had never liked being in the dark, wether if he was alone or not, and the fact that Rob was in a completely strange room made the situation even worse.

Rob’s stomach rumbled and a sickly sensation appeared suddenly in his gut. He started to ‘really’ think about the circumstances that he was in. This was all so confusing…..Last I remember, I was on the bus with Rex and Zach heading to a long awaited concert….. Was this supposed to be their funny idea of a joke…..? Hilarious, Rob thought to himself. If this is their idea of a joke, they have taken it too far!

His eyes had fully awaken now and his brain had started to finally kick in; if he was going to make any sense of where the hell he was, he was going to have to leave this stingy storeroom first. He realised now that even for his friends, this was too far. Neither of them would do something like this.

As Rob stood up the best he could, he failed to see the small object that was behind him. A camera, hid suspended in the top corner of the room, and it was focused directly on him. The Camera was really not noticeable, unless purposely looked for. 

Rob treaded slowly across the room to the door, fumbling with nearly every step he took, whilst the camera followed his every movement ever so silently. Rob reached out for the handle, but was stopped short as he was greeted by the strong sound of a ringing phone. It was coming from the table that was next to the chair he was sitting on.

Rob walked over to the table, reached over and grabbed the phone. He knew straight away that the phone was not his. The phone continued to ring, its ringtone making what seemed to be a never-ending noise that would drive anyone insane. Rob quickly examined it, it read *unknown calling*; must be Zach, Rob thought. Robert answered the phone, and held it to his ear. He waited to hear his friends Rex and Zach laughing hysterically in the background; only to be greeted by a completely different voice.