Romeo

My phone buzzed for what had to be the hundredth time today. Alex and I hadn't spoken for 3 days now; it was a record. For most people, 3 days really isn't that to not talk to someone, but for Alex and I, 3 days, is like 3 years. I looked down at my phone wondering if I should answer it, I mean I wasn't even that mad anymore. I took too long to decide and it went to voicemail.

I sighed walking into my bathroom to brush my teeth, without having Alex to keep me up past midnight, I had been going to sleep before 9. I threw my hair in a bun and crawled into bed, turning my phone on silent.

I suddenly jolted awake. I sat up not knowing what had caused me to wake up. Just then something hit my window; I waited. A few seconds later it hit my window again. I groaned, got up, and walked out onto my balcony.

I stepped out and immediately noticed a dark figure looking up at me on the balcony.

"But soft, what light through yonder window breaks?" Alex recited Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet to me.

"O Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo?" I replied, being Juliet, going along him.

"Right here," He smiled his charming smile, "Are you still mad at me?"

"For waking me up in the middle of the night? I'm gonna say yes!" I replied pretending to be mad at him. Honestly, I thought it was really sweet for him to throw rocks at my window, waking me in the process.

"Oh please! It's only 11:30!"

"You still woke me up!" I said retreating back to my bed, closing the balcony door. A few minutes later I heard my window opening. "Alex!" I hissed.

"What?" He smirked, "With love's light wings did I o'erperch these walls!"

"Give up the act Romeo, Juliets still pissed at you." I whispered to him.

"Uhhh... Yeah I've got nothing else," he said trying to remember another line from the famous play,"Please forgive me Ali, I miss you so much and I'm really sorry, and I know you have the right intentions."

"Hmm..." I said, seeing if he would beg more.

"I can't stand having you be mad at me! I don't know what I'll do if you don't forgive me right here, now! Ali I love you, please will you please even consider forgiving me?" He pleaded.

"I suppose... on one condition, you let me sleep." I told him.

"Fine, but I'm staying." He smiled.

"Sure, sure." I said cuddling under the covers and drifting back to sleep.

I woke up the next morning cuddling with Alex. I slowly craned my neck to look at the clock, 6:30 AM, I layed my head back down unto Alex's chest. I couldn't fall back asleep, I just felt so happy right then, with Alex right next to me. He looked so peaceful and young sleeping. I felt him stir, and I quickly shut my eyes. He relaxed again, and eventually I fell back asleep.

I woke up again, but this time Alex was gone. Yawning, I got up and peered out my window, it was overcast. I sighed and began my trek down the hall and then down the stairs.

"Goodmorning sleepyhead." Alex said with a sweet smile.

"What time is it?" I groaned.

"11:30." He smirked.

"Ughhhh!" I groaned out once again.

"Your mom made pancakes, do you want some?" He asked me.

"Sure," I replied, "Where is everyone?"

"Sports, work. The usual." My brothers are always at practices for their various sports. Right now it's hockey and basketball season.

"Mmm." I replied digging into my pancakes.

"So... I better get going." He said putting on his shoes.

"Let me walk you home." I said loading my plate into the dishwasher.

The sky was threatening rain, but we decided to walk anyway.

"So are you still mad?" Alex asked me smiling. I thought about last night, sleeping next to him.

"I guess I forgive you... so no, I'm not mad."

"Good." He smiled back. Suddenly his faced tensed and his smile faded into a frown.

"What's wrong?" I asked feeling worried.

"Nothing, nothing."

"Tell me!" I demanded. I knew I'd get my way if I kept asking.

"No."

"Telllll meet!"

"No no no no!"

"Pleassssee Alexxxx!" I said giving him my irresistible puppy dog eyes.

"Fine," He smiled, then his faced turned serious again, "You're so beautiful." He said moving a stray piece of my hair behind my ear.

I felt a blush creeping in on me. "Thank you." I said looking into his deep brown eyes.

"I love you." He whispered, as a drop of rain landed on my face. He wiped it away and grabbed me by my hair gently. I leaned into him and my lips pressed against his. We kissed. The rain started to come down harder and harder, as we kissed and kissed. I pulled back for a moment, looked up at the sky, and laughed. I pulled him closer. Lightning lit up the sky, and we pulled away and started to run for his house. When we hit the driveway he scooped me up and ran inside.

"Here this should warm you up,." Alex said draping a blanket over my shoulders, " Do you want some hot chocolate?"

I nodded, I was shivering. I thought about last night and then today, kissing in the rain. I didn't even notice when he came back into the room holding my hot chocolate.

"Here you go," He said handing it to me, then cuddling up next to me on his couch, "Careful it's hot."

"Really? Hot chocolate is hot?" I said teasing him. I leaned my head on his shoulders.

I must have fallen asleep because I woke up and Alex was gone.

"Alex?" I said getting up and searching for him in the kitchen.

"Right here!" He said calling down from the stairs, "I have basketball practice, I can give you a ride home, hold on!"

A few minutes later, I was climbing into the passenger seat of his truck. We made small talk during the less than a minute drive back to my house. He pulled into my driveway and put the truck in park.

"I just want you to know that everything I said was true. You're beautiful and I love you. I always have and I always will." He said looking at me. He looked so vulnerable compared to his usually tough looking exterior.

"I know, I love you too," I said leaning in for a goodbye kiss.

He pulled away, climbed out of the truck, and hurried to my side to open the door for me. He took my hand and helped me out of the truck. One last kiss and we said goodbye.

I hurried into my house, closed the front door, and sunk to the ground. What did I just get myself into? He's my best friend.