Mistletoe

I looked over my outfit one last time. My hair was curled, as usual, I wore a tight, gray, quarter-sleeved dress that sat a few inches about my knees, and I wore black strappy heels.

"Let's go Alice!" shouted my oldest brother at 24 years old, Andrew, or Drew as we sometimes call him.

"I'm coming, I'm coming." I said slowly making my way down the hall. I almost fell in my heels going down the stairs.

"Careful there Sis," Damian said, "We don't want to go to the ER on Christmas Eve!"

"Maybe you shouldn't wear heels." My most protective brother, Joe, said. He was 21 and in college studying to be a lawyer. He was the one who always was looking out for me and giving me advice.

"I'll be fine as long as I don't have to go down many more stairs!" I said. I climbed into our black Escalade. My mom and dad were in the front, with my dad driving. I was sitting in the back seat with Damian and Derek, Damian's twin brother, while Brad, my 22 year old brother, Gavin, my 19 year old brother, and Joe were sitting in the middle seats. Drew and his girlfriend, Haylie, were driving separately in Drew's yellow Hummer. We all were on our way to Church, for the Christmas mass.

We walked in 30 minutes early, my mom insists that if we arrive a minute later there will be no more seats, and sat in the pew right behind the Dunns. Alex has two sisters and a brother. Danielle, or Dani, is 14 and 22 year old Savannah. His brother, Micheal, or Mikey as everyone calls him, just turned 18. When I was younger I had the biggest crush on Mikey. I would follow him around the house and always beg Alex to ask him if he wanted to play with us. Obviously, I don't "like" him anymore, but I will say his light blond, swoopy hair and baby blue eyes will make any girl swoon over him. He looks so innocent, but Mikey is a "bad boy", which makes him all the more tempting.

Our families exchanged greetings and hugs, and I may have lingered while hugging Mikey... but then I noticed that Alex wasn't there.

"Where's Alex?" I asked Mikey trying to avoid his dazzling eyes.

"Who's Alex?" He said flirting with me.

"Shut up," I laughed meeting his eyes,"You're brother, where is he?"

"Oh yeah him... he wanted to drive separately." He said stopping his little game.

"Typically Alex..." I muttered. The opening hymn was just starting to play as Alex rushed into the church sitting down right next to me. I quickly straightened his tie and smoothed down his hair.

"Thanks." He whispered into my ear. I got the chills and quickly tried to brush it off. I had to end this, I wanted to be with Alex, but I know I can't. We are meant to be best friends and I can't let this sudden interest in each other romantically get in the way of that.

"Alex, you know I love you, but this isn't going to work. We're best friends." I whispered extra quietly back to him. My heart ached remembering just a few days ago when we were kissing in the rain.

"I completely agree," he whispered back to me,"I don't want anything to come in between our friendship."

I wanted to feel relieved, but my heart was hurting. He didn't want to be with me, it cried. I could feel tears gathering in my eyes. I quickly blinked them away and smiled at Alex.

After church we headed back to my house. The Dunns followed us to our house too. It became a tradition for our families to spend Christmas Eve together. Both of our other relatives lived in other states, so we rarely got together with our actual families for the holidays. The Dunns practically were family though. All of our parents grew up as kids together, so I've known them my whole life.

The parents were finishing up dinner and all of us teenagers were hanging out in living room just down the hall from the kitchen. I had just stood up to add more wood to the fire, when I glanced up and saw Mikey standing right next me.

"So I heard you made varsity cheerleading, that means you'll be cheering for my basketball team." Mikey said drawing me in his with gorgeous eyes and crooked, sexy smile.

"I guess so." I said first making eye contact and then subconsciously glancing down at his lips. I quickly moved my eyes back up to meet his. I scolded myself in my head, off limits. I put one more log into the fireplace.

"Oh what do you know," He said taking back my attention, "We're under the mistletoe." He smiled his irresistible smile at me.

I didn't have a chance to respond, he grabbed me and enveloped me in a full on kiss. I wanted to pull away, this was so wrong, but so right. My senses came back to me and I pulled back. He just smiled and laughed, probably at my stunned face, and sat down on the couch and joined my brothers watching the tv. In my peripheral vision I saw just a flash of Alex hurrying out of the room. Crap.

****Sorry it took so long to post this I just finished up my finals! Enjoy!