Chapter One

"Hey, do you have any water in there?"
I heard a voice, I just didn't know where from. Maybe I'm finally insane, the silence broke me.
"Dude I don't even care if it's rat pee."
Yep, I'm insane. 
Something touched my shoulder, I jumped. "I am taking enough of a risk talking to you, can you please help me out here? I haven't had anything to drink in two days and my bunk doesn't get taken care of for another day or so. Please, Violet?" 
I wanted so badly to turn around and ask how he knew me, but I didn't. It would just make our chances of getting caught even higher. I crawled over to my water filter and pulled a small glass, bringing it back with me to the boundaries of our cage. 
I couldn't take it, I had to ask. "How do you know my name?"
"Oh, Vi, I've know who you are for quite awhile. In case you haven't noticed, you have an amazing rack; so I asked around and found out your name." 
"Oh." I covered up my chest with the blanket; the officers haven't given me a new shirt in 19 months. 
Sometimes I really wish I had a penis; then I might actually get some respect around here. 
"The guys aren't treated any better; we have female guards. And trust me, if you're attractive, they're just as piggish," he answered my question before I could even ask it. 
Now I really want to turn around and see what the female guards find so attractive, but my officer was walking up. I handed him the water before the guard saw us, and hurried to the back of the gate. The man pulled out my spare blanket, pillow, my food and water bowls, and made me strip so he could "wash my clothes"; though I knew my clothing would come back even dirtier than it was before I gave it to him. 
I covered myself with the spare blanket and hid my face; I didn't like being naked around all of these people, I felt vulnerable. Even after all the years I've been here, I was still sheepish to let anybody see my nude body. Meanwhile, the obese woman next to me was laying with her legs apart, no blanket, and farting like a warthog. 
I hate it here. My father gave up on making the best out of our situation a long time ago. Now he just lays under his blanket and lets the guards do to him as they wish. His clothes and bed sheets haven't been washed in three months; I can smell the rat urine on his sheets from ten feet away. 
I slowly creeped toward the guy's crate. 
"So uh, who are you?" 
"My name's Denver, if that's what you mean."
"Why were you put in here?"
"I was playing a tuba in the middle of the street as a form of protest; and you?"
"My little sister got caught with a piece to a board game."
"Oh man that has to fucking suck. How long have you been in here?"
"Five years." 
"I've only been in here for seven months and I'm already going insane. How have you put up with the silence for so long?"
"It wasn't alwa-" A guard was approaching the gate. I was sure he had seen me talking; suddenly I didn't know what to do. I curled up in a corner and awaited my punishment. 
He threw my food and water pans into my cage, "running low on food, make it last," and left. 
I let out a sigh of relief.
I looked at the boy committing treason with me, and he smiled. His brown eyes sparkled in the dim lighting, and his dark brown, overgrown hair was sticking up in every direction. He had a wide, sweet smile that spread across his face with the same grace and splendor as a setting sun. He really was someone worth staring at.
"You looking at me like that is the equivalent of me staring dumbstruck at your breasts; please, stop." 
"I- uh.. I'm so sorry." 
He laughed, "Wow you stutter a lot, sorry I didn't mean to make you nervous."
"You didn't." 
"Yeah okay but I did tho"
"No, you-" a guard was walking toward us. He opened my gate and threw in my clothes, they were actually clean for once.
Denver covered up the side of his crate so I could get dressed without him staring at me, I pulled on my clothes as quickly as I could. He took down the blanket and looked around for guards. When there were none, he came close enough to the bars to say "Get some sleep Violet, I'll see you in the morning." 

I woke up on the hard floor of my cage, covered in... stuff. 
What's on me?
Oh God is that- 
"Calm down it's dog spit."
"What? Who are you?"
"Hi we met last night, been your neighbor for 7 months, I'm named after some dumb city. They let the dogs in to check for drugs around 1 this morning, you were asleep. It drooled on your face."
"Oh. Sorry, I'm always a little disoriented in the morning."
"Yeah by what I hear you forgot who your own father was the first morning you were in here."
Who told him that? I panicked, I couldn't breathe. God why was it so cold in here? I looked down, "Uhm.. Denver? Why am I naked?"
"I really dont know I was asleep for that too, but could you cover up? Do you have anything to cover up with?" He turned around so he was facing his other neighbor; a tiny, frail old man that I believe might already be dead, he's been sleeping for quite awhile.
"Are you gay or something?" I wasn't trying to be rude it was an honest question, but I think it made him uncomfortable. "Dude? I'm sorry."
"For what?"
"I don't know you just got really quiet after I asked if you were gay."
"It's a touchy subject."
"Why?"
"That is a long story."
"I don't see either one of us getting out of here any time soon."
"Okay will you just take no as an answer?"
"If you want me to take no as an answer." 
"Please?" 
I covered myself up and looked at him, he looked so.. vulnerable. Afraid, maybe?
I just really wanted to know why he was so upset about me asking if he was gay. 
So many possibilities ran through my head. Was he abused? Did people bully him? Does he have girly features? Did he give a blowjob once and regret it afterward? 
A guard walked by and laughed at me. Why was he laughing? 
I had so many questions, but couldn't ask any of them. So I just curled up in a ball and went back to sleep, maybe when I woke up some things would be answered.