Chapter Two: Return to Earth (Without his bestie)

Marco woke up drenched in a cold sweat. It was all just a dream, he thought. But when he opened his eyes, he didn't see the ceiling of his bedroom. He saw the ornate artwork of the spare bedroom in Butterfly castle. The events of the previous evening came back to him in an instant: he realized that he couldn't go back to his home looking so dirty, he washed up, but then it was too late in the evening for him to just burst into his house. He asked Star what to do, and she offered the spare room to him for the night, and off to bed he went. He got up off his bed and started to get dressed, and found that a pair of jeans, a grey shirt, and one of his red hoodies had been placed in the closet for him. Wow, these people are really nice. I should hang out here more often, Marco thought to himself. He got dressed and went down to find the kitchen, where one of the castle servants asked him what he wanted for breakfast, to which he replied, "Some cereal would be nice, thank you." Once he had eaten his food, he set off back to his room to grab his dimensional scissors and head back home to check up on his family. Strangely, he couldn't find them in the drawer where he left them. He looked around for a little while, and asked Star if she'd seen them once she woke up. She started acting kinda shifty, and answered no while not making eye contact. "Star, tell me the truth," Marco said. Star knew this would happen, but reluctantly went up to her room, grabbed the scissors from under her pillow, and brought them back down to Marco. "Here you go, Marco" "Star, are you okay? You've seemed really down since we got here." He hasn't realized it yet, has he? she thought to herself. "M-Marco, you do realize what you going home means, right?" "Star, you're scaring me. I don't know what you mean. Come on, I'll get you some sugar seeds," Marco replied, grabbing Star's arm and reaching for his scissors. Star pulled her arm away, and Marco noticed her tearing up. "Marco, I don't need any more training. I have to stay here, on Mewnie, and you have to go home to your family." The news hit Marco like a punch from Mackie Hand: he would have to leave his best friend in another dimension. He now knew how she felt before she ran away to Mewnie to fight Toffee. He thought for a long while about the situation, and eventually replied to Star. "Star, you're my best friend, but my family's back on Earth. My home, my school, almost everyone I know, I can't just leave that all behind. I'm sorry, but I have to go back to Earth. Everybody I know is probably worried sick about me. I have to go back." With a heavy heart, Marco pulled out his dimensional scissors, opened a portal back to Earth, and gave Star the scissors. "You'll probably need these more than I do." he said. "Goodbye, Star," were the last words Star heard him say before he went back to his home.