Chapter Three: What's Happening here?

With a heavy heart and teary eyes, Marco stepped through the portal and arrived back in his room. The portal closed behind him, and he sat down on his bed and started sobbing. After he gathered his senses, he went downstairs only to find his parents sitting on the couch, watching a soap opera together. "Hey guys," said Marco. "Hey, Marco," replied his parents, unenthusiastically. Did they even notice he was gone for the past two days? He decided to call Jackie to tell her that he was okay, but only got her voicemail. He tried again, and got the same result. He grabbed his helmet, knee pads, elbow pads, and all his other gear, and biked to Jackie's house to tell her. When he got there, he knocked on the door, but got no answer. He peeked in through the window, and couldn't believe what he saw. Janna and Jackie, sitting on the couch, with their arms around each other! Marco closed his eyes, opened them, and looked again, but saw the same thing! Marco, feeling even more down than before, biked home and went up into his room, fell onto his bed, and fell asleep. He woke up to the sound of his phone ringing. Looking over, he saw it was Jackie calling him. "Hello?" he answered, groggily. "Hey, Marco, I saw that I had a missed call from you. You okay?" "Oh, yeah, I'm fine," he lied. Jackie started, "I know you might not be the happiest person in the world about this, but you kind of chased another girl into another dimension on a whim, so I went to some friends to cry. It turns out Janna is really nice and we found out we both kind of like each other, so we're kind of a thing now. I'm really sorry. I tried to call you, but I guess my phone doesn't do interdimensional calls. Anyway, I'm still really glad you're okay. See you later, Marco," and she hung up. Marco was frozen in shock. I spent years trying to get Jackie Lynn-Thomas to like me, then ruin it all in one move? I can't believe myself. He sat down on his bed and cried some more, but looked up when he felt a hand on his shoulder. "Star? What are you doing here?"