In The Lair of the Draca (Book 2) Chapter 40: Joo-Lee

Sashek, weak-hearted and trembling (she had not taken her heart remedies that morning) approached the elliptical, hunched lodge that was Pomoq's-- with its four half-moon windows-- one in each wall-- from which fragrant smokes, some of different colors, wafted out like plumes of misty feathers into the morning. As usual, there was a bit of clanging and doddering about as the old man set a tea kettle over his fire to boil, and Sashek smiled, draping one arm around little Joo-Lee and holding her close. Sashek did not have to see inside of Pomoq's dwelling to know that he was up to all sorts of oddities-- but then, that was simply the mystery of the great Healer.

From somewhere within, a bird squawked (Green Wings, no doubt), and there came the incessant chatter of that wood-rat which Pomoq insisted on feeding when the animal came to perch at his window.

Sashek lifted her hand to knock, but before she could actually make contact with the brass knocker, Pomoq's low, gravelly voice radiated from inside.

"Come in, children," he called pleasantly, "and be prepared to drink a good bit of this calming tea...I doubt I'll be able to finish it all at once without stressing my poor, old man's bladder."

Sashek had to suppress a smile. How had Pomoq known she was coming with a visitor? Did she really need to even ask?

Joo-Lee tugged at Sashek's sleeve. "Who is in there?" she whispered, in an almost near-perfect rendition of the Evening Folk's tongue...though she rarely spoke at all, unless it was with Sashek, whom Joo-Lee had come to depend upon as a sort of surrogate mother.

"You have nothing to fear, dear heart." Sahsek smiled down at the girl. "Pomoq is the man who is the highest, most Esteemed Elder of our villages. He helps people get well again, and he delivers babies-- just as he delivered me almost twenty years ago, and told Mother that I would have holes in my heart for the rest of my days."

Joo-Lee's eyes widened, and she gasped. "He did that?" she asked incredulously.

"Aye. He did."

"The door is unlatched," called Pomoq pointedly, and Sashek took the liberty of pushing the door aside and leading Joo-Lee into the lodge's murky, enigmatic depths.

Sashek strode calmly into the interior and reverently lowered herself onto a plain reed mat-- one set out for visitors-- and bowed her head with great respect before the old Healer, who sat cross-legged in front of her on his own mat; it was tattered at the edges and looked as though it would be of better use as kindling than as a mat. Joo-Lee followed hesitantly, placing one foot deliberately in front of the other as though she were wading through a shallow stream, trying to avoid the sharp rocks and coral which might slice her feet.

"Seeing you again is a gift most becoming," Pomoq began, leaning forward and placing one wrinkled palm on Sashek's lovely curls. She raised her head and smiled at him, and the old man smiled back.

Green Wings busied herself pecking at a pile of what looked like fresh seed behind Pomoq's mat, while his furry friend-- the wood rat-- hunched at the half-moon window and held a dried crust of bread in front of her sharp little teeth, using tiny paws to turn the morsel this way and that as she chipped away. Before Pomoq, a small fire crackled; thin rods of incense were lit at at regular intervals throughout the lodge, giving the room a wonderful, cinnamon-like aroma, and baskets of freshly-picked fruit swung from rafters overhead. There were also numerous bags and baskets of colorful intricacies; bracelets, feathers, bleached bits of bone, brightly-hued apparel for special ceremonies, polished stones collected from the banks of Haven's creek that were used to line fire hearths, and cups and bowls used for everything from tea to soup to mixing poultices. Spicy-smelling pouches of healing herbs filled one covered pot near the east wall.