In the Lair of the Draca: (Book 2)-- Chapter 7: Forbidden Water Fly

"Weema!" Ziuta tried the new word out on her tongue, pattering along behind Sashek as quickly as she could. One hand gripped the hem of the older woman's willowy gown, while the other fist was tucked in her mouth in a quiet exclamation of wonder. She was also catching on very quickly to Sashek's language, managing to splice some of Kiwa's complicated terms and create a crude sort of pidgin. "Weema! Pretty! Our world, Kiwa was-- it was barren. I miss my home, but this good also! What are your people called again?"

"You should walk more. Talk less." Sashek's charming voice was at once taciturn and as sweet as the tree-sap that Ziuta missed so much. "We have much ground to cover yet before we reach our village, Looks Thrice, in safety." Sashek's steps were sure and forward. She strode on through Hallow's Wood with her head held high and auramine braids whisping in the cool gale.  In Sashek's arms, she cradled the still-semi conscious Joo-Lee, who moved only long enough to shift her position and moan piteously at the pain in her bruised limbs. Her eyes never opened. Ziuta wondered vaguely if the caked scabs that matted her friend's hair would ever come out. It did not look likely. Ziuta thought it very possible that Joo-Lee's hair would have to be cut and allowed to grow back in on its own.

"Safety? Is Weema dangerous?" Ziuta dared ask, then immediately chided herself for such a silly question. Of course Weema was dangerous; she had come very close to being eaten alive by a salivating, serpentine wonder that had nearly killed her friend.

"Dangerous all the time. Very dangerous," Sashek admitted. The three briskly made their way around a winding path that took them through the deepest parts of All Hallow's Wood, where they passed bunches of colorful blooms on either side of them and sapling-sized trees whose branches dipped, laden with spectacular specimens of cherries and foreign fruits that made Ziuta's mouth water.

"How dangerous?" With Sashek's back to her, Ziuta gathered the apron of her tattered pink nightdress and created a small pocket, in which she carefully picked the healthiest specimens and stowed them away. She was so hungry, she feared Sashek might hear her stomach rumbling.

"Very." Sashek continued to walk, looking neither right nor left, and supporting Joo-Lee as though the nearly nine-year-old girl weighed nothing. "You saw the draga that nearly killed you."

"Draga?" Ziuta asked curiously. "Is that what they are called?"

"Draga, yes." Sashek paused and turned. "Walk faster! The brown draga are experts at hiding in hanging vines and rotting tree trunk holes. Our world is full of them, and they thirst for blood. Not just the blood of animals, but the blood of People. Being caught by such a beast means a fate worse death."

Ziuita shuddered quietly and briefly closed her eyes. "We had no such animals on Kiwa."

"No?"

Parched grass and blankets of leaves crunched loudly beneath her feet. Ziuta felt protected with Sashek leading the way.

She swallowed, fixed her eyes on the quiver and arrows that hung loosely from Sashek's back, and continued. "Kiwa was a peaceful place. We had Creepers, tiny creatures that swam in the pools. We had birds, but ours were much less colorful. And we had many, many cattle. Gentle creatures. Gave good milk, and bones and meat used when they died. The Night People used everything." Ziuta sighed. "My young cow, Xuqa, was a beautiful animal. All white fur. My best friend, except for Derak. But now..."

"Hush!" Sashek gestured sharply. She stopped walking and squatted close to the ground, eyebrows drawn together in intense concentration while she listened, carefully scanning Hallow's Wood with watchful eyes. She relaxed only when she felt that there was no danger and no suspicious noise. "Good. No talk now! We set food for lunch and eat. And you'll keep quiet until I give you permission to speak, yes?" Sashek pointed a shapely finger into Ziuta's face until the red-haired child shrank back.