In the Lair of the Draca (Book 2) --Chapter 5: Amek

Amek woke with frenzied exuberance.

Today, she would be making the trip to Hallow's Wood to see if she could find that purple fairy dust. And against all odds, her older sister Sashek was going with her!

There had been fairy dust. Amek knew; she'd seen it. Who was anyone else to say what she had and hadn't seen? Certainly not Gormaq, and not her mother, either. Just because she was a little girl didn't mean she wasn't as trustworthy and reliable as the rest, and Evening folk never told lies. Besides, Amek got to go mushroom-foraging with Sashek all by herself, as though she were grown, albeit against Gormaq's better judgment. And did that not prove she was special? No one else in Looks Thrice allowed their children to forage in groups of less than five because of the perceived danger of flying beasts. Michek and Bichek, who were twins and Mother's and Father's eldest children, preferred to stay home and do woman's things. Among their favorites was creating garments on the loom with what little material that could be scrounged up. But Sashek-- now, she was special. The weak-hearted beauty had defied Dragura's attempts at securing her for a Sacrifice not just once, or even twice, but three times.

Mother thought of Sashek as her 'miracle' daughter. Over the years, she had begun to think that Sashek was untouchable, and Amek thought the same.

Now, she flew up from her sleeping bench, barely able to conceal the welling joy that filled her chest, and dutifully went to the wash baskets at the back of the family lodge. Gormaq, a burly man made awkward by the wisted leg which needed constant support, was already awake. He sat beside the fire on an eating mat, slurping at a mug of tea and clutching a tattered blue shawl around his shoulders. Thick tufts of hair, a shade lighter than gold, stood up on his head like a hastily put together nest. It made Amek giggle spontaneously; a bird would be hard-pressed not to choose that matted head as a roost.

"What's so funny?" Gormaq asked gruffly. "And why are you so eager to be up this morning? Normally, Mother needs to jostle you at least five times to get a stir out of you."

"No reason," Amek said innocently, splashing the cool water over her face and rushing to smooth and plait her own hair, which was really so pale that it was white, like snow. Most Evening children had ivory hair, but it would darken later if they were lucky enough to see their older years.

Gormaq gestured. "You have forgotten the soapweed."

"Soap?"

"For your hair, stupid one. Or would you like to smell like a dog?"

"We're out of soap," Amek said absently, glancing quickly at the basket beside the washing water. They weren't really out. There were a few plants at the bottom that might make a good lather, but she knew Gormaq. He would not get up to look. Collecting soapweed was woman's work, and this morning she did not have time. If she and Sashek were to get on to Hallow's Wood, they must waste not a moment of their time. She smiled to think how jealous her friends would be to see her setting off on such a mysterious journey with Sashek leading the way, while the rest of them were stuck playing child's games in the center plaza. Ha!

"Sit down, my daughter," Gormaq said, patting the ground next to his eating mat and resting the tea mug in his lap. The lines around his expressive eyes, which were beginning to turn rheumy, were not unpleasant, but Amek's heart sank just the time. She loved her father, but she did not like him. He was distant and overbearing, a combination of genial smiles and gruff expressions which made her feel that she was constantly walking on egg-shells. If only Mother were there! Amek looked about, noting that Michek and Bichek were gone. Collecting breakfast roots for the morning, no doubt. But where was Sashek?

"What do we hafta talk about?" Amek strolled obediently to the place where Gormaq sat on his eating mat and clasped her hands respectfully, but she did not sit.