chapter 11

It’s been several weeks since I entered the war room and listened to the confusing and violent speaking of Nexxus’ kind. After that Nexxus brought me back to the lab, looking warn and broken-shattered into pieces by the captain. Apparently the alien in question, Klesk, had been a long time friend of Nexxus’ and had been sentenced to death. Klesk expected Nexxus to be able to save him, putting even greater duty and pressure. I later tried to get him out of the slump he was in. I’d asked question after question, attempting to get his mind off his duties. It didn’t help him.

I was able to learn that the Delrath’s are both an asexual breed, where only one parent is needed to reproduce (meaning his kind only have males, which explains the lack of girls of his kind), laying eggs strangely through their mouths (GROSS MUCH?!) and a parasitic breed being able to mate with females of different alien species and create out of that strange intercourse an offspring looking much like a Delrath. (The parasitic version of the Delrath’s was rarely seen and is only done in extreme emergencies for their people)….Personally I wish I’d never asked why there weren’t any girl Delraths…

The captain started working Nexxus even more brutally after that meeting, adding on to his responsibilities and questioning his loyalty every time he wasn’t able to perform the many tasks assigned to him. Now Nexxus had brutal training lessons with the captain, he had to work on the hybrid program, map out their next several destinations, watch the armies training courses and make calculations to improve their fighting method’s-hoping to destroy the demon they know new as Bradley of America, heal the wounded who came back from Russia, America (I heard Asia was becoming a dead zone-full of human carcasses) Canada, Mexico, and other places of the world, he sometimes had to go off to human war zones and study our fighting method’s in high hopes to find a way to kill off Bradley, and go off and map back roads for the Delraths to take and surprise the enemy human army they were facing. The fact that’d he’d been unable to save Klesk’s life haunted him day and I could see the guilt in his orange eyes every time I looked into them.  It’s hard to think that their kind can feel such a thing as guilt, after all they’d done. Guilt or sorrow seemed to be beyond their comprehension.

Nexxus would come home, bloodied, bruised, and nearly half dead. He was becoming older looking, sicker and thinner. It was rare when he had enough time just to sit down and eat. Nex just kept calling to me for massive servings of the silver thick liquid that served at the Delrath’s water. I’m positive that he’s ill now.  At night I’d hear loud thuds coming from his room, groans, and other terrifying noises. I’d once been foolish enough to run to his door and bang on it, asking if he was alright. All I got in reply was an unearthly hiss that followed me well into my nightmares.

The next morning he’d only looked thinner and even sicklier but the cruel and unforgiving nature of the captain would not allow Nexxus to break form his duties and recuperate. He was barely at home now, I rarely saw my only companion any more, and he’d started to become somewhat violent towards me. I’d once heard him while he thought he was alone say; “My life is a hell anyway-I might as well go to the America and hope demon Bradley would have the decency to kill me also” Why he was speaking in English, I have no idea. Maybe it was an accident. Maybe he was hoping I’d hear him and reassure him. But as of late I’m so afraid to approach him-I’ve got bruises and small scars from his unfathomable rage. I recently got a long scar on my left shoulder from where he swiped at me with his claws.

I’d heard about other names giving the Delraths a hard time, a Richard-also American had been giving the Delraths hell with his small troupe, yet not nearly taking as many of the Delraths lives as this Bradley was. The Russian’s, there’d been a couple slaves of the Delraths, on a captured ship in the mid Atlantic, who’d caused riots and been immediately silenced. The world was rioting while my neighbors were dying on the inside. I loathed the Delrath’s for what they’d done to my uncle and the town. I couldn’t even hope to see grandmum again, two weeks back I’d heard from Nexxus that because I’d showed up to her rescue, the guards had merely killed her and took me in her stead. I never had felt so alone until that moment-I’m the last of my family’s bloodline, the very last. I have no other aunts, uncles, grandmothers, grandfathers or distant cousins out there. I’m the last and I’m a slave, which makes me hate the Delraths and Nexxus even more…