Chapter 4

"You said you'd tell me!"

"I said that when I was drunk!  You can't hold that against me!"

I wake up to the sound of Summer and Joe arguing, probably about how he said that he'd tell her what's wrong with him last night.

"If you don't tell me I'll tell your Dad who I am."

Silence.  Why doesn't Joe want Graham to know that he has a girlfriend?

"Summer.  Please.  I promise I'll tell you, just not right now."  I hear him say after a minute of uncomfortable silence.

"Why not now?  Caspar's asleep!"  Oh no.  I should pretend to wake up now, I can't hear what I'm not supposed to.

"Nnnnnnh," I groan, stretching and standing up, saying, "I heard my name."

"Morning Caspar," Summer smiles sweetly.  I smile back.
"What's going on?  You guys okay?"  I ask, genuinely concerned.

"We're fine, not that it's your business," Joe snarks and his girlfriend gives me an apologetic look.  I just nod and go into the bathroom to change and brush my teeth.

"Why did you say that?"  I hear her hiss while I'm putting my shirt on.

"Sorry." My body stops doing whatever it was doing to freeze in amazement. I haven't heard Joe say that word in god knows how long.

"Joe? What's wrong?" I hear Summer's concerned voice as well as a choked sob from outside the door.

"Relax, babe. I love you," I stop listening at Summer's last words, deciding that I don't need to hear what broke me last night again.

After a few minutes I return to Summer's room, not seeing Joe. She reads my mind and explains.

"He's waiting downstairs. Do you want a drive home, too? It's no trouble since you guys live so close." I nod and we head downstairs.

When we get in the car Summer puts on some really upbeat, girly pop music. Joe and I immediately snort and while I try to muffle my laughter, he lets it out without caring.

"You have the worst music taste ever." I laugh at his words and Summer pouts.

"But it cheered you up," is all she says.

When we make it to Joe's place he hops out, kissing Summer and he runs off without saying bye to me.

I then get out of the car, saying thanks to Summer and waking inside my house.

"Hi dear, how was your night with Summer?"  I hear my mom in the kitchen.

"It was great, I'm going to do some homework now if that's okay."  She nods and I kiss her on the cheek before heading upstairs.

"Oh, Caspar?"  I hear her yell while I'm at the top of the staircase.

"Yes?"

"I hope it's okay with you, since you didn't come to dinner last night I arranged with the Suggs that we'd have dinner tonight."  I yell back an okay.  So much for my quiet night in.

-----
I did not expect this. Those are my only words. I'm surprised.

Mom and I are at dinner with Graham and Zoe, nothing new there. The new part is that Joe is here. It's the first time I've seen Joe since grade 8 when he's not in school, drunk, or hungover.