Chapter 5

Thank god I had the weekend to recover from the somewhat disastrous ball Nate took me to on Friday. I knew that me and posh/rich people would not mix well.

I looked around me and Blair's small New York apartment. Unlike the grand, posh mansion at the ball where everything was embellished in Gold and every table was covered in marble, our apartment was cosy and comforting amongst the busy New York streets. I don't think the life of being rich would suit me.

'Hey Belle, fancy coming out for a few drinks straight after work? I've invited James if that's okay?' Blair called from the kitchen.

'Yea, looking forward to it' I called back. At least it's not going to be another night of me and Blair slouched on the couch watching KUWTK and stuffing our faces with pizza from the cheap takeaway round the corner, I suppose.

It was monday morning, another day at Matthews Enterprise. I walked into the office, to find Nate typing away.

'Um, thanks for inviting me to that ball, it was a good night' I lied, wanting to be somewhat polite. Nate just looked up and calmly nodded. Not the reaction I was expecting.

I walked off to go and collect any mail that was delivered, and Jane stopped me in the hallway.

'Annabelle, look at this' she said, a smile beaming of her face holding her phone up at me. It was a picture of a young girl, at a university graduation.

'It's my daughter Adeline, she just graduated university!' she said beaming with pride. I love Jane, she brings me a sense of comfort and she is like a motherly figure at work, she seems like the women who goes home and bakes pies and drinks endless cups of tea while reading her 'house and homeware magazine'. I wish she was my mother...

'Wow Jane, she is beautiful. You must be so proud!'

'Oh thank you, I am!' She smiled.

Oh how I wish that was me. I never went to university, instead I got a job at the local bakery and worked my teen years away serving cakes and coffee while all my other friends seemed to be living the life at university or travelling the world.

When I was younger I had so much ambition, to become someone amazing who made money and worked hard, but here I am in an ordinary office job. I shouldn't moan I guess but if only life could be different.

Apart from a few words, Nate barely said anything to me today, and not mentioned the ball. I guess he thought it was disastrous too.

Finally, I made it home and decided to get ready to meet Blair and 'James' for a few drinks. I decided to keep it casual, with skinny jeans and an off the shoulder top along with my clutch bag.

I headed off to meet Blair and her 'work' friend James. Although she had told me several times before  that her and James were just friends, I was convinced they were something more.

I walked into the bar, which may I add was one of the poshest and most expensive in New York. I remember the days when me and Blair use to go out to the cheap bars and dance the night away on cheap shots.

I walked over to find Blair and James. They were sat cuddled up in a corner suite. The bar screamed elegance and posh people.

'Hey, I hear it's Annabelle?' James stood up and offered to shake my hand.

James had thick, blonde surfer style hair, and tanned skin. He defiantly looked like a lawyer, and in all fairness he seemed a generally nice guy for Blair.

After James introduced himself,  I sat amongst the two of them, practically third-wheeling all night. What a fun night out for me then.

'Hey Belle, me and James are thinking of heading off if you don't mind. I mean you could come with us, if you would like but'.

'No, it's fine, I'll leave you two to it' and I winked at Blair, watching the two of them stroll off. Blair looked every inch of happiness clinging onto James' arm, they looked like the perfect couple.

I was secretly jealous of Blair. She's my bestfriend and I love her, but she always seems to have the better life. She was the one that had a successful job, a nice car, posh clothes and now she's the one who's got a nice guy.

I decided to head to the bar. I grabbed a seat on one of the stools, and almost fainted at the price of drinks.

'Didn't think to see you here' I heard a deep voice whisper through my ear, sending cold shivers through my back.

I turned round, and it was Nate, clutching onto a drink in his usual crisp, white shirt.

'Drinking at this time of night, when you've got to be at work at 8am in the morning?' I shouted over the music causing him to laugh loudly. I could smell alcohol on his warm breath, and he was clearly drunk.

'Are you not going to drink that, Miss Jacobs' he bellowed, he pointed at my wine, his laughter echoing through the bar.

'Look, you're clearly drunk so I'm going to get you home'. He clung onto my arm steadily while I dragged him into his car. I decided I was going to drive him home. God forbid I crash his Mercedes Benz, I will have to do a runner.

'Where do you live then?'

'The Raddison, it's the penthouse, number 4'. I sat there in shock. The Raddison apartments are well known across New York, and known for only the rich of the rich affording to own an apartment.

I pulled up to the block of skyline apartments, and Nate lead the way to his penthouse. As he opened the door, my mouth dropped in shock.

There was a stunning view of the NY skyline, the lights of the endless buildings blurring into one.

I looked around. There was a massive kitchen, completed with marble work surface. I looked to my left, he had a giant flat screen tv and comfy looking modern couches. He had a large balcony, added with a hot tub.

In the midst of me nosily checking out Nate's apartment, he disappeared. I looked through the somewhat endless rooms, to discover him asleep on his kingside bed. His bedroom was filled with black and greys, and looked like the bachelors dream. I left him to sleep.

Before I left, I decided to grab a glass of water. I stumbled through the endless kitchen cupboards to try and find a glass, but came across a draw. The draw was filled with photos, many photos was of an older lady. She looked like a film star with flawless makeup, covering her fine wrinkles and luscious locks of golden brown hair.

I stumbled across another photo of a baby beaming with big blue eyes. Who were these people, and why has he stuffed these in a drawer?

I suddenly slammed the door and made my way home, how could I of been so nosy? The random pictures played on my mind all night. Who really were these people?