Chapter 9

(Y/N)'s POV
I was not going to say this out loud, but I knew we were lost.

We were walking through what looked like a sewer unlike the tunnel Percy and I encountered last time.

Percy shined his flashlight (Annabeth said we should use flashlights instead of using my own light so I could conserve my energy) through one or the portholes. There was nothing but darkness although I could of swore I heard voices.

Annabeth did her best to guide us. She had this idea that we should stick to the left wall.

"If we keep one hand on the left wall and follow it," she said, "we should be able to find our way out again by reversing course."

Unfortunately, as soon as she said that, the left wall disappeared. We found ourselves in the middle of a circular chamber with eight tunnels leading out, and no idea how we'd gotten there.

"Um, which way did we come in?" Grover said nervously.

"Just turn around." Annabeth said.

We turned around only to see a different tunnel. None of us could decide which way led back to camp.

"Left walls are mean," Tyson said with a pout.

"Yes they are." I said, a bit frustrated. "Which way now?"

Annabeth swept her flashlight beam over the archways of the eight tunnels. They looked identical to me.

"That way," Annabeth said.

"How do you know?" Percy asked.

"Deductive reasoning."

"So... You're guessing."

"It's an educated guess." I said, defending Annabeth.

"Just come on," she said.

The tunnel Annabeth chosen narrowed quickly. The walls turned to gray cement, and the ceiling got so low that pretty soon we were hunching over. Tyson was forced to crawl. Grover's hyperventilating was the loudest noise in the maze.

"I can't stand it anymore," Grover whispered. "Are we there yet?"

"We've been down here maybe five minutes," Annabeth told him.

"It's been longer than that," Grover insisted. "And why would Pan be down here? This is the opposite of the wild!"

"Calm down Grover. It's too late to back out now." I said.

We kept shuffling forward. The tunnel was getting narrower and narrower until we felt squished, but luckily it opened up into a huge room. Percy shined his flashlight around the walls.

"Whoa." He said and I saw why.

The whole room was covered in mosaic tiles. The pictures were grimy and faded, but you could still make out the colors-red, blue, green, gold. It showed the Olympian gods at a feast. There was Percy's dad, Poseidon, with his trident, holding out grapes for Dionysus to turn into wine. Zeus was partying with satyrs, and Hermes was flying through the air on his winged sandals. My dad, Apollo, was playing music with his lyre.

The pictures were beautiful, but they weren't very accurate. We'd seen the gods before. Dionysus was not that handsome, and Hermes's nose wasn't that big.

In the middle of the room was a three-tiered fountain. It looked like it hadn't held water in a long time.

"What is this place?" Percy muttered. "It looks-"

"Roman," Annabeth said. "Those mosaics are about two thousand years old."

"How can they be Roman?" I asked her.