Chapter 1

Hazel.................

Hi! I am Hazel. Yep! You guessed it right, my name matches with my eye colour. Not that I am complaining. In fact in a way I consider myself lucky for hazel eyes coz otherwise my grandma wanted to name me 'Gertrude'. Thankfully Mom and Dad were sensible enough and convinced her it was better for me to have a name which matches my personality.

I am 17. Height 5'4", slim (in whispering sounds 'too slim on my most curvy parts too, if you could call them curvy'), dark brown hair, thick curly and dry enough to make a broom with them, I wear spects and I know what you must be thinking now, but no, I don't wear braces. I am not an ugly Betty types at all. In fact if you could change my hair texture and inflate my boobs and bums, I would be able to take part in the next Miss Teen, California. Oh and yes, I forgot to mention about the most attractive part of my body, my brain. I have a super active, fast processing, big brain inside my skull. No, I am not boasting. I mean it. There are proofs. I started speaking when I was 6 months old, I used to win all the science Olympiads and other general knowledge quiz competitions every year for my school. I have always been the top ranker in my class. Mom says I was declared a child prodigy when I was 6. And ever since books and me have been inseparable. My parents were so proud of my achievements that now they have become addict of all the praises they receive from people for raising me so well, and they now want me to become a scientist at NASA. If I could get to fly a spaceship, even better. They don't have any idea that I am scared of domestic flights, forget being a space traveller.

Today they are over excited, coz I have been selected at Stanford university, CA. My mom has arranged for a small party at our home, for friends and family, to celebrate my selection and to bid me farewell. I will be leaving for Stanford tomorrow morning. My younger brother Caleb, is even more excited. No, he doesn't care where I go for my higher education, he's happy coz now he will finally be able to take my room after I leave. My parents didn't have to be so mean and handover my room to this miniature monster I have whom people call as my brother. I mean I still be visiting home during vacations (*rolling my eyes in disgust*).

Oh yes, I have to tell about my parents as well. My mom and dad are childhood sweethearts. They got married when Mom was 19 and my dad 21. They were working in the same bank when they got married. I was born an year after, and mom left her job to take care of me. My life was full of love and attention until Caleb was born when I was 5. After that my parents attention shifted from me to him. I tried to kill my brother more than once when I was a child (Tried to drown him in his bath tub and pushed him from the top of the slide in the park the second time), but he was lucky enough to survive (No, my parents don't know about this, they consider both the incidents as accidents). I am planning to let them believe this for the rest of their lives. Anyway as we grew up I lost my interest in killing Caleb as books and studies and constant pressure from my parents to achieve the best, was overwhelming enough to kill the rest of the desires.

I am closer to my dad, than mom. I have shared almost all of my secrets with daddy (except trying to kill Caleb and forcefully kissing Justin, against his will during a school picnic when I was 8).

                           *******

It's 9 o'clock in the morning and I should move out of my bed, but last night's packing and all have left me exhausted and honestly this feeling of going away from my family is making me sick. I love being here with my family, even with my monster brother. I don't want to leave all this behind. This is who I am, a small town girl with a loving family.

"Hazel, you better come down right now, or better be ready for my ice bucket challenge", mom yelled for the third time. I better be up now, coz her threats are not all talk talk. She might be filling up her ice bucket right now.

I sloped out from my bed and dragged myself to the bathroom almost slithering like a pregnant anaconda. A warm bath and taste of my mint toothpaste brought back my freshness and I was back in action. I covered my wet body with my favourite pink bathrobe and came out rubbing my wet hair with the towel. And yes I was correct in not underestimating my mom, coz I saw her entering my room with a bucket filled with ice cold water.

"Mom, I am already up, see. I even took a bath", I said spreading my arms with a little annoyance.

"Well, good for you, coz anyways I was going to give you a nice chilled bath", she said keeping the bucket in a corner. "Now hurry up and come down for the breakfast. I don't have whole day, I need to prepare for tonight's party".

"I am coming in a minute", I said trying to pull out the hairbrush which was stuck in my hair by now. I looked back to ask for mom's help but she was already gone.

Great! Perfect start of the day. I am going to get my hair permanently straightened with my first salary. Hfff!!!

"Hey, Hazel are you taking your Nike shoes with you?", Caleb's voice distracted me from my thoughts.

"Of course I am taking them with me. And stop acquiring all my possessions . I am not dying. I am just going to college and will be coming home every weekend and every vacation."

"Yeah I know. Although I doubt you'll visit every weekend", he said sarcastically.

"What do you mean?"

"You are going to college sis. There will be boys, party, booze. You won't even miss home then"

"You wish!", I rolled my eyes. Although deep down I was a bit excited about the college life. The freedom and independence.

"So, you are saying you won't be seeing boys and partying?"

"Of course I'll enjoy my freedom but bro, boys are just the unwanted part attached at the end of the only useful part of their body, nothing else. You know what I mean", I said finally freeing my hair from the hairbrush.

"Jeez Hazel, you are disgusting. You are talking to your little brother, remember."

"Ha ha ha! Ooooh my tiny little baby brother. How will you survive here without the protection of your big sis. My poor Caleb", I teased him pulling his cheeks.

"Ouch leave me already!"

"Fine, don't overreact, let's go mom is waiting for breakfast", I said tapping on his head and moved out of my room.

################################

Hi readers, so how was the first chapter? Did you like it?

What are your opinion about Hazel? You guys like her? Hate her?

Please vote and comment and give your valuable suggestions too.

Bye for now. Will be updating next chapter soon. Till then try my other stories 😄😄😄