Chapter 2

Hazel..............

"Finally you managed to spare some time to give a glance to the food that that has been lying on the table since last one hour. And don't you dare ask me to warm it up in microwave. Eat it all as it is", Mom was ready with her razer sharp tongue as soon as I landed in the kitchen.

"Nicole, let it be. It's her last day with us, don't be so harsh. Come here my darling have a seat. I'll warm up your breakfast", my lifesaver Dad took my side as always and Mom went back to her daily chores shaking her head in disappointment.

I hugged dad from behind as he slid back the plate inside the microwave," Daddy, I'll miss you".

"I'll miss you too sweetheart", he turned back and pecked on my forehead. "Hazel, I want you to keep one thing in mind when you'll be there, I definitely want you to enjoy your college life but always remember your roots. This place, your family, your friends here are what defines you. Be yourself always". There was a lot of intensity in his voice. What was he so afraid of?

"Dad, I wish I could just stay here forever", I said wrapping my arms around him, placing my head on his chest.

"I wish that too sweetheart. But I also want to see you progress in life", he said stroking my hair.

Beep, beep, beep!!!

Our little father - daughter moment was interrupted by the alarm of the microwave and we were back on the breakfast table. Caleb joined us too by then.

"Dad, can I go to Stanford too, to see her off?" Typical Caleb. His motive to go with me all the way to Stanford can definitely not be to see me off.

"Of course not. You have your school tomorrow. Plus I can go on my own", I spoke before dad could give a response.

Caleb glared at me as if he was ready to avenge for all my trials to kill him when he was a kid and will be killing me with the butter knife he had in his hand which he had held up like a pro serial killer.

"Actually son, she is right. You have your school and don't worry about she travelling alone as your Mom will be going with her."

This was a news for me. "I thought I was going alone!", I questioned.

"No, you are not. She will make sure you have been alloted a dorm room and you are settled there."

"But da..", "No arguments over this.", Dad cut me before I could argue anymore and I dropped the topic, making the gesture of zipping up my lips with imaginary zippers.

I didn't want my mom to accompany me to the college coz I was sure she would behave like her usual overprotective way, making every other person she'll meet, skeptical, thinning my chances of being accepted as one of their own.

***********

"Hurry up Hazel! How much more time do you need to get ready. Everyone has already arrived. For god's sake please be quick. It's just your farewell party, not your wedding", Mom scolded me peeking through the door of my room.

My mom has a capability of ruining the good mood anywhere, anytime.

"I'm coming Mom, just give me five more minutes", I said putting my only pearl studs in my ears.

I had decided to wear my short vintage sleeveless V-neck emerald green ball dress. It has satin pleated bodice with wide waist and draped skirt flowing down upto my knees.
I had paired it up with pearl earrings and silver ballerinas.