Gilbert's Return

Anne Shirley Cuthbert had been living in Avonlea now for just under four years, and the scenery has yet to stop amazing her. She was in the upperclass now that she had just turned 17 and she was currently on her way to the first day of her last year of school at Avonlea. She saw a beautiful white rose off the side of the trail and decided to have a look when she was knocked over from a brute force to her ribcage. She heard laughter and automatically knew the culprit.
"Billy for once could you please leave me alone. It's less than a year and you will never have to see me again."
She was hoping he would give her one day without beating her to a pulp, but of course that isn't Billy.
"Aww doggy hurt.I'm sorry." And Billy commenced kicking her. Before she knew what was happening Anne was screaming and crying at the same time.And Billy's laughter filled the air.

__________

Gilbert was finally ready to face his friends again, it had been three and a half years of him traveling the world and he decided it was ready to come home. He had already made a stop at his father's farm and he was on his way to the school house, taking a different trail hoping to catch a certain red head he wanted to see.
It had been hard at sea, Gilbert was very lonely seeing as there was no children his age. He grew up quickly from the work he had to do and through all the pain he made sure to keep his hopes up because one day he would see Anne again.
"AHHHH"
Gilbert stopped when he heard the scream, it was a scream of a woman in distress. Gilbert took off running towards where the scream had originated.
He saw Billy kicking the life out of a girl with auburn hair, her arms shielding her head and there was a puddle where her tears were collecting. She picked up her head when she heard the footsteps and Gilbert recognized her.
"Anne.."

_______________

Anne picked her head up and looked straight at a man, she couldn't tell who because her tears were clouding her vision, but the boys stature looked familiar.
"Anne..."
Why did that voice sound so familiar? She rubbed her eyes. The boy turned to Billy his jaw was clenched and his eyes were full of fury.  Suddenly she remembered a boy who she had fallen in love with so long ago.
Gilbert ran at Billy and pushed the boy away from Anne and shoved him onto the ground.
"What did I tell you Billy? What did I tell you!"
Gilbert punched Billy in the jaw and Billy's face morphed from smug to terror.
"Gilbert my boy. When did you get back?"
"You son of a bitch, you just think when I leave you can go after Anne again?"
Billy looked really terrified now, Anne decided to go over to Gilbert before anymore damage was done. She stood up but wasn't able to stand for long when her legs buckled and she tumbled to he floor again.

______________

Gilbert heard Anne fall and flipped around to see her whimpering as she tried to stand up. He quickly let go of Billy and ran to Anne's side and picked her up bridal style.
"This isn't over Billy you hear me."
Then Gilbert turned and ran back towards Green Gables.
"Don't you worry Anne it's all going to be okay."
Once Green Gables was in view Gilbert started to scream at the top of his lungs.
"Help!Help!"
Marilla must've heard his please because he saw her figure running towards him and Anne.
"Oh sweetheart, come inside Mr. Blythe hurry!"
Gilbert ran inside and set Anne on her bed and waited while Marilla fussed and fixed Anne's cuts and took her temperature.
"Is she going to be alright?"
"Yes child, there is no need to worry she will be awake in a couple hours." Gilbert was worn out so he took a seat next to Anne's bed and grabbed her hand. He laid his head down next to her and he fell asleep

_____________

Anne slowly opened her eyes and scanned her surroundings. She looked out the window at the flowers but suddenly she became aware of her left hand being weighed down and unusually warm. She turned her head to the side and saw Gilbert fast asleep and he was holding her hand.
She shook him awake. Once his eyes adjusted and he saw her awake a grin covered his face.
"Anne I am so glad you are okay."
She pulled Gilbert into a hug.
"I didn't think I was going to see you again."
"Don't worry Carrots I kept my promise." He lift his head up just enough to kiss her forehead and then untangles himself and helps her lay back down.
"It's been a long day Anne I think you should get some rest, and when you wake up I will tell you stories of my adventures."
Anne nodded and felt herself dozing.
"I love you Gilbert." Anne said just above a whisper.
"I love you too Anne, you have no idea how much."