» toys

The laughter breezed by like a sharp wind, slicing away any sadness with its slicing smiles. The tiny blocks rolled out of the plastic box as little kids ran with joy towards them.

The girl with many twists and turns, with wisdom spilling out of her eyes; also known as, the 'lady with one dimple' to the children. Her voice echoed around the room, swimming with the syllables of laughter. A tiny smile formed across my battered lips as I saw her pick a little boy up, swinging him onto her side as she poked his cheek. The daycare smelled of dirty diapers and baby powder.

My strides were slow as I watched the world spin around me, not even bothering to stop to capture the crescent smiles forming nor the twinkling of eyes. Time never waits behind for anyone, not even those who confess their sins.

A young girl with curly hair crawled up to my legs as she raised her tiny fingers, holding onto a toy car. With shaking fingers, I took it out of her fingertips and pulled it against the floor. Letting it go, I watched it race past blocks and carpets, past memories and nightmares. With a loud thud, it hit against a wall decorated with the alphabet and lullabies. I watched the little girl eagerly crawl to the toy car; as soon as she tried to pull it back against the choke of the world, it wouldn't move forward. A sketching frown formed across her tiny lips as the tears formed pools of misery in her eyes.

My eyes flickered up from the little girl's frown to see the lady with one dimple rush to her side. She slowly dragged the toy car against the floor and let it rush away, to the amusement of the children.

"Never let a wall come in the way of your dreams, for you must always chase them, cater to them," she laughed at the confused faces of the children, "yes, never cater other people's dreams, but make sure yours are on a silver plate."

"Why would you put a dream on a plate, lady? Aren't dreams in people's heads?" A little boy's eyebrows furrowed up as he took in the vast knowledge with his tiny eyes.

"How about this," she picked him up and set him on her lap as she pulled the toy car once more back, releasing it as everyone's eyes watched it buzz away to the other side of the room. "If the world pulls you back, release yourself and go farther than you could ever imagine. Chase your dreams; don't hold them back."

"How can you chase dreams on a silver plate?" The boy questioned.

"How about we'll come back to this after lunch?" She gave a bright smile and looked up at me.