Chapter 2

The entire table was silent until about halfway through dinner. That's when I couldn't stand the silence anymore and decided to start the conversation. We talked about my day mostly and the girl. My mother told me that there was no possible way that I could be evil. That made me feel a little bit better. Dinner was delicious and now I sat in my room just staring at a wall. There was a small tapping at my door.

"Come in." I called.

My mom walked in and made herself comfortable on the end of my bed.

"Honey? I need to talk to you." she said in an unusually serious tone of voice.

"What's up mom?" I asked.

"There is no way to avoid this so I am just going to say it out right. Sweet heart, you were called upon by the council to serve as the next poster boy." she said quickly.

"What?" I asked suddenly "The poster boy? You mean the guy who gets to go out and kick some bad boy butt?"

"Not exactly bad boy." Said my mom.

"I have to fight a girl?!" I exclaimed. "Seriously?! Now I will NEVER have a girlfriend! Ever!"

"Now now sweetie. You still have your looks."

"What rugged construction worker?" I ask sarcastically.

"No. More like superman." She said sympathetically. "Now I know that its not exactly how you planned it but it is a huge opportunity. Please don't turn it down."

I just nod my head. "Fine I will do it. But don't expect me to kill her!"

"Never! Ya! Your father will be so proud!" She jumped up and ran out the door.

I fell asleep to the sound of my heart beating in my ears.