chapter seven: let me show you something

"you have to find something. something that anchors you, something that keeps you looking forward."

"Let me show you something" Anthony said pushing the door, leading us out to the sitting area. The sun hit me making my body feel warm, instantly.

"You're all about adventures" I pointed out with a smile. A fake one, of course.

"Sure" He said.

"So, where are you taking me today?" I asked.

"You'll see" Was all he said.

Still holding hands, we walked past all the benches and flowers and took a right turn. The pathway was a nude colour and there where sunflowers growing on each side of the road. As we kept walking, more trees where visible. When Anthony stopped walking, I assumed we were at the final destination. It was a lake. The water was crystal clear and the lake seemed on going but it was almost shaped as a square. The trees were perfectly placed along the perimeter.

"Wow" I said in awe. It really was beautiful.

"I know right" He smirked.

"Oh my god. We are totally swimming in this, Anth" I said happily clapping my hands.

"N-no we can't" He stuttered.

"Why not?" I furrowed my eyebrows together.

"We'll get in trouble if we come back soaking wet. We aren't even supposed to be here" He said quickly.

"You were the one who brought me here! I don't get why we can't swim" I said getting slightly annoyed.

"I just thought you'd like it" He muttered.

"I do like it. In fact I love it. But I want to swim" I say quietly.

"For god's sake, Emma!" He yelled causing me to jump. It's okay, Em Anthony isn't them. "My sister fucking drowned and now you want me to swim. I can't swim, I can't barely look at water let alone swim in it!" He continued his little rant.

"Well, that's your problem" I fired, taking my shoes off.

"How could you be so insensitive?" His eyes watered as he scrunched his nose.

"Insensitive is my middle name" I glared at him and them continued to roll up my jeans.

"Fuck you" He simply said with no emotion before leaving.

I rolled my eyes and plopped myself carefully into the lake. The was warm and the sun reflected onto the water. The crystal blue water was glistening. At this point my feet could touch the bottom of the lake. I held my breath and pushed myself under water. I let my body glide across the bottom of the lake. After holding my breath for too long I quickly pushed myself back up. I laid my back on the surface of the water and took deep breaths in and out. I felt so relaxed. I felt safe. I felt okay.

"Emma?" I heard someone say which completely snapped me out of my thoughts. I got out of the position I was in so I could stand again. As I looked up I noticed Melissa looking down at me.

"Oh hey" I muttered.

"God E, you are going to be in so much trouble" She said reaching her arm out for me. I held on to her arm as she pulled me out of the water.

"For swimming?" I rolled my eyes.

"You're in a nut house. You aren't allowed to do anything" She explained with a sad look on her face.

"How do to even know how to come here?" I asked changing the subject.

"I've been here for a year. I know my way around here like I built this place" She explained.

"A whole year?" I asked in shock.

"Yeah, I've had a few setbacks that slowed down the process" She avoided eye contact. "Come on let's get out of here" She added and I nodded.