Chapter Three

Danielle's P.o.V.

"Daniel, what type of cake should we make?" I asked.

"Chocolate. Duh," he said, looking at me like I was dumb.

"On the box, it says we need one stick of butter, two large eggs, and a cup of water. It also says we need an electric mixer or whatever you call it, but all we have is a big bowl and a spoon, so I guess we'll have to use that to hold the ingredients."

Danny nodded and put the two eggs and the cup of water in the bowl. "Danny, what about the butter?"

"Oh yeah. Hold on," he said reaching for the butter. He put the butter on the table and I opened it until he said, "Wait, we need to preheat the oven!"  Leaving the butter on the counter, I dashed to the oven and turned it on to 350 degrees, while Danny continued mixing the cake mix, trying to do it at an electric mixer's speed.

"It's done," he said. I grabbed the bowl and poured the mix into the pan and pushed in the oven. Then, we both sat on the couch and watched TV, waiting for 15 minutes.

"Dani, go check the cake, use Momma's long knife and poke it to check if it's done."

"Okay," I said grabbing the knife and opening the oven. I poked the cake and when I took the knife out and it dropped in the oven. "Daniel!" I screamed. "I dropped the knife and the oven is hot!"

He looked frustrated and got up and looked inside. "Okay, go upstairs. I'll handle this. But, I need to use the bathroom first."

I nodded and ran upstairs to my room. I played with my barbies for about ten minutes until it smelled like something was burning.

"DANIEL!" I screamed while running downstairs to open the oven. Mommy's favorite knife was burnt. The black rubber handle was melted into goop, but still was solid and the metal blade was brown and black. I looked on the counter for the oven mitt, but saw a melted stick of butter instead, but not just any melted stick of butter, it was the stick of butter that should have been in the cake mix.

"DANIEL! YOU'RE A FREAKING IDIOT! YOU LEFT THE FREAKING KNIFE IN THE OVEN AND FORGOT TO PUT IN THE BUTTER!"

Looking disheveled, Danny ran in and looked at the melted and burnt knife in the oven. "Oh god, sorry Dani."

"Where were you?"

"In the bathroom! I told you I needed to use it!"

"For ten minutes?!"

"It's not like I can doo doo in 3 minutes. That takes time."

I put my hand in his face, stopping him. "No one asked for all of that."

"You want to try the cake?"

I glared at him. "Goodbye. I can't even- Oh Lord, give me the strength."

"Why are you freaking out over a knife?"

"MOM LOVES THAT KNIFE MORE THAN US! Not literally, but YOU KNOW HOW SHE IS ABOUT HER COOKING UTENSILS!"

As soon as he was about to respond, Mom and Dad walked in. "Why does it smell like there's something burning?"

I smirked at Daniel and whispered, "Have fun." I patted his shoulder and ran upstairs.

--------------------------------------------

Mom, Dad, and I were sitting at a table at the police department listening to all of the recordings on the tape recorder. "Welcome to the diary," a scratchy and high-pitched voice said.