Chapter 1

I’m not the one, who sleeps so late at night and wakes up early, but I wonder why my senses are abruptly heightened and I unconsciously open my eyes to the dark of my room, fully aware that it is nowhere near daybreak. As I slowly open my heavy eyelids, I feel irritated by a ringing sound.  I reached out my hand trying to grab the possible source of that annoying noise.

 Alas! Here it is, my mobile phone, it is 3:34 in the morning and I got an incoming call.

“Yes?” I inquired coarsely.

“Karmilla Dominique!” answered the annoying guy on the other line, Krein -  my very close friend slash self appointed manager.

“For heaven’s sake, Krein! It’s 3:34 am and you go calling and shouting my whole name  like that?!” I answered back very irritated.  See I’m not a morning person and I hate this kind of situation.

“Oh, I am so sorry dear, I am just so excited that I can’t wait until daybreak to tell you the good news!” Krein reasoned.

“That should be real good news for you to annoy me this early!” I said while rubbing my eyes.

Secret Tears is a go, Karmilla! You are a go!” he said, excitement obvious in his voice. I can clearly imagine his flashy smile and sparkling eyes. Oh wait, what am I thinking?

Secret Tears is a go...” I repeated, pausing for a moment and trying to comprehend what he meant by that, and finally it dawned on me. “Secret Tears is a go! Oh my God! Krein, you’re not kidding?” I finally muttered.

“No, I am not, you crazy girl. Congratulations dear! Can I go to your place now? “ he said.

“ Are you nuts? There’s no way, Krein, no way I’ll let you come over at this hour. And please, let me have some sleep. As much as I want to jump for joy, I just don’t have the energy.” I answered.

“That wasn’t serious, dear, don’t be mad. I was just trying my luck. Kidding! Haha! Okay, have some sleep for you’ve got a long day ahead. Oh, and whoever or whatever’s been keeping you up late should feel really guilty. “ Krein said in his usual jolly way.

“Actually, it’s Prince. Thanks again and sweet dreams, Krein! I’ll see you later!” I said then hung up.

I still can’t believe this is happening, but I am very thankful. The past seven years were agonizingly bittersweet, and at some point I slumped and stopped chasing my dreams. I was never the one to easily give up, but I felt I’ve had enough.

Perhaps second chances do exist in some aspects of life, and in a few hours I’ll re-start chasing my dreams.