Part 1, chapter 2

"Okay, okay, everyone. Wow. Wow," Sandi Bardell said into her handheld microphone. She paced back and forth across the studio waving her hands in a downward motion.

"Okay, settle down. We're going live again in less than two minutes and if you want to hear from the group," the hoots and hollers started again.

"We love you!" someone shouted out above the din.

"We love you, too!" Vyola, Patience and Jjenni yelled, all at the same time, laughing together.

Sandi walked up to them and smiled.

"I'm going to let you bask in this glow for another moment, ladies. Congratulations."

Viola watched as crew walked the aisles, slowly getting the audience under control. Sandi held a hand signal conversation with two of the camera operators, sweeping her hands back and forth and together, pointing in turn at her, Patience, and Jjenni. She walked backward towards them counting down from five on her fingers and then joined them on the stage, standing between her and Patience.

"Hey, New York! Once again, I'm Sandie Bardell, and we're back with girlRulz!"

"Let's get their names, shall we?" Sandi said as she stuck her microphone in Patience's face.

"Patience Smith," Sandi turned quickly away and stuck the microphone under Jjenni's nose.

"Jjenni Wang," Jjenni said with a little laugh.

She turned again and glancing quickly at a little post-it in her hand said to Vyola, "And of course, you are Vyola Katz, the lead singer."

"Yeah," Vyola answered, smiling. She bounced her head so that her hair swept forward over one eye.

"Tell me, girlRulz, your music seems to resonate so strongly with your fans," and the room did seem to buzz with their energy, "Which artists have influenced your music?"

Patience leaned in to answer but Sandi moved just so and put the microphone squarely under Vyola's mouth. Patience narrowed her eyes.

Vyola felt her face grow hot but she continued to smile and didn't miss a beat.

"Well, we all have different influences. Patience likes Rhianna and Sia, and Jjenni, who writes many of our lyrics, just loves Janis Joplin and Carole King."

"Who are your favorites, Vyola?"

"I love The Pretenders, Blondie, Pink and Taylor Swift – but really, we all love all kinds of music."

"That's so interesting, especially to hear the several older artists who have influenced you."

Sandi turned her attention back to the audience.

"How about another song? What do you say guys?"

The audience erupted as Vyola, Patience and Jjenni went for their instruments. This time Patience picked up her bass and stood next to Vyola.

Vyola smiled at Patience but she could see that her friend's happy mood had vanished. Practically scowling, Patience adjusted the height of her microphone stand so she could easily reach it to do the back-up vocals. She choked the stand with her left hand and stood with legs spread and back ramrod straight, scanning her eyes across the crowd, pulsating attitude. Well, Vyola thought, it certainly fits the song.

"All right, Hey, New York! Look out because this one rocks," Vyola said.

"It's 'Make You!'"

Patience led off in her raspiest voice, "One, two, three, four!"

And as the drumbeat came in faster, Vyola sang:

"You think that you can hold me?

You better give it thought.

My fire's gonna burn you till you freeze!

I'm gonna make you scream 'Please.'

You want to take me higher?

You better watch that cliff.

I'll take you so high you'll be underground.

I'm gonna make you spell bound.

You need to get to know me?

Honey, I can't be known.

My rhymes will wrap you up to be exposed.

I'm gonna make you posed.

Still think that you can hold me?

You better think again.

My fire's gonna burn you till you freeze!

I'm gonna make you scream 'Please.'"

Vyola ended, curling up her lip in a sexy sneer and this time flipping her hair back and up, thrusting her hips forward. That's for all those dads, she thought and then inwardly cringed. Her mind sometimes took her places that caught her off guard.

Even before the cameras' red lights went dark and while the crowd still roared, Patience began disconnecting the amp from her bass and freeing herself from her sound mic. Jjenni jumped from behind her drumset and joined Vyola. They both looked at each other and then pleadingly to Patience, waving her toward them. She finally slinked forward but Vyola could tell her friend was still seething. Patience joined hands with her as they bowed. As soon as the "live" light died, Patience turned away with barely a wave to the audience. She made her way across the small platform stage, weaving through the wires and equipment, leaving her and Jjenni to finish the goodbyes.

"Come on," Jjenni said close to Vyola's ear as she tugged at her arm, backing her in the direction that Patience had gone. As the crowd gave them a standing ovation and continued to scream for them, she added "I don't want it to look like anything is wrong."