Part 1, Chapter 31

At home that night, things were looking up. Gus was there. Vyola watched him as he put food on plates and lit a candle. For an FBI guy, it surprised her how gentle he was. He didn't notice her presence, didn't feel her stare, or how her eyes were roaming over his body. He looked good in just a t-shirt and jeans. He hadn't cut his dark hair in a while. It was thick and wavy, tumbling over his eyebrows. The muscles in his arms tightened and relaxed as he worked. He lit another match, put it to a second candle, and blew the match out with his sexy, full lips. When he finally looked up, she was the one who started.

"Hey, you're just in time – and on time." Gus often chided her about her habit of running late for, well, almost everything, but he smiled.

Vyola made her way around the kitchen island and kissed him, deeply, leaning into it. Gus kissed her back and pulled her to him, curving her into his body.

"I missed you," she said.

"Me, too."

"Something smells great," Vyola said, feeling her stomach grumble.

"You hungry?" Gus gently bit her lip.

"Hmm, yeah. But let's eat first."

Gus kissed her forehead and pulled away. Picking up two plates, he placed them on the small café table near the bay window. Vyola brought over the candles and they sat eating, looking out.

The sky was growing darker and lights began to come up across the city. It was a pretty view at dusk but she had always felt it was prettier at night. The darkness erased the brown smudge of pollution from the sky over the highway and the water shimmered with little lights as the traffic beyond twisted its way through the borough like a glowing snake that never ended.

The dinner was delicious. It was a mix of veggies and brown rice with sautéed shrimp - all her favorites.

"Yum. What did I do to deserve this?"

By way of answer, Gus leaned across the table and kissed her again, sweeping her hair from her eyes and looking into them for a long moment. There was depth to his eyes that made her feel as if he were evaluating something, something about her. It unnerved her and she looked away.

"Is my mom home?" Her mom often napped late in the day and more and more often, she slept later and longer.

"No. She went to visit Rob upstate and said she would be late."

Vyola took a deep breath. "She didn't go by herself, did she?"

"Nope, she said she was going with Sylvia and they were taking the train from the city."

"Okay, good."

Sylvia was a neighbor and while Vyola always thought she was a bit nosy, if not for Sylvia, it was doubtful that she and her Mom would be alive right now.

Gus wiped his mouth and put down his fork. He uncorked the bottle of white and poured a glass for himself. He took a long swig. His sweet mood seemed to have disappeared.

"Problem?" Vyola asked.

"Your mother is going to visit the man who tried to murder you and the only thing you're worried about is her traveling by herself."

Vyola got up to retrieve a wine glass. She sat back down with it and reached across the table for the bottle. Gus placed his hand gently over hers.

She raised her eyebrows. "If you didn't want me to have any, why'd you open it?"

Gus pulled his hand away and ran it through his hair.

"Damn-it, Vy. Just a couple of weeks ago your mother attempted suicide and almost killed you in the process. If Sylvia hadn't stopped by.... You aren't worried about the influence Rob has on her?"