Part 2 Chapter 34

"You look so beautiful, Pate," Vyola said. Patience had to be the most beautiful bride in the world. Her simple one shoulder crème colored silk gown draped perfectly over her slender body and her shiny hair shimmered across her shoulders and down her back. The hot summer day had cooled and there was a gentle breeze off the water, portending a picture perfect early evening wedding, yet her friend looked wistful.

"What's wrong?" Vyola

Patience ran her slender hands along the porch's ornate wooden balaustrade, then turned her hands over, rubbing her finger tips together.

"I don't suppose I'll ever get rid of these callouses," she said.

"And you wouldn't want to." 

Vyola put her hand about her friend's waist and her head on her shoulder. "Those are hard won callouses."

"I know."

"What is it?"

"I don't know. Nothing. I'm so excited to start my life with Ethan but when I stand here and look out over the lawn and the ocean, I think about all the dreams and plans you, JJ, and I had - dreams and plans we made right here, together. I hope you can forgive me for changing all that."

Vyola took Patience by her shoulders. 

"Are you kidding? We did everything we said we were going to do, and more. It just didn't last as long as we thought it would."

Patience hugged her. 

"I'm so happy to hear you say that. And I'm so happy to see you look so happy, Vy. I know I wasn't there for you this past week."

Vyola shook her head. 

"I don't want to talk any more about it. This is happy time."

"In our happy place."

"That's right. I can not imagine a more perfect place for you to get married than here at your grandmother's."

"Neither can I."

They turned as the screen door creaked and Jjeni stepped out onto the porch. She had their bouquets in her arms. Patience's the largest but each made simply with miniature white roses and a sprinkle of green. Jjeni and Vyola wore matching flowing sleeveless cocktail length dresses with scooped necklines that differed only in their shade of green, Jjeni's emerald and Vyola's seafoam. Vyola had opted for shoes with a two-inch heel dyed the same color as her dress while Jj's shoes were silver stiletto's.

"Jj, you look great," Patience said as she took her bouquet. "I love those shoes."

"What shoes did you finally choose?" Jj asked.

Patience picked up the hem of her dress to reveal white silk ballet slippers with blue bows.

"Ugh. Even with these stilts on my feet you're taller." Jjeni laughed as she turned herself back to back with Patience. "And my feet already hurt!"

"No worries," Patience said. "Leave them on as long as you can – they look killer. Once we start dancing, take them off."

Jjeni turned to Vyola. "I love that color on you, Vy."

"Thanks. Yours, too." 

It was the first time since Vyola had arrived that she, Jjeni and Patience were together by themselves.

"Vy," Jjeni said, "I'm so sorry I wasn't able to reach out."

"She doesn't want to talk about it, Jj," Patience said. "Happy time, happy place."

"Okay, you've got it," Jjeni said.

What Jj didn't realize was for Vyola, things between them had changed forever. After the lawsuit, it was so important to Vyola that they find common ground and a way back to friendship but she saw things clearly now. All Jjeni had ever cared about was appearances and that was all she still cared about. She'd rather let Vyola swing in the breeze than have to defend a friend and attract any criticism to herself. She didn't understand Jj's disloyalty and she no longer cared. Jjeni was a phony but Vyola would smile in her face and pretend everything was fine, at least until after Patience's big day. She wouldn't give her the satisfaction of letting her know how much she had hurt her.

From across the lawn a figure approached them. In the setting sun, it was hard to see who it was.

Patience put her hand to her eyes, "It's probably my mom coming to get us."

Then a voice rang out that was unmistakable. 

"Bitches!" It was Sangrya.

"Oh my god. I can't believe she made it." Patience skipped quickly down the steps as Sangrya ran the rest of the way to meet her there.

"Look at you. How beautiful. Muy bonita, chica. I'm going to cry, I swear."

Sangrya looked awesome, too. She was rocking a light pink shorts suit with a grey vest and white collared shirt. She was wearing stilletto's, too. "Girl, I aerated your entire lawn. You are so tall. What you got on?"

Once again, Patience lifted her hem.

"You got height, girl. That's what you got on. Vy and Jj let me see you." 

Sangrya took their hands and looked them up and down. "Girls, you look hot. Vy, you come here. I need to give you a big hug."

Sangyra wrapped her arms around Vyola and rocked her side to side, "I hope you know I've been transmitting love your way."

"Thank you so much."

"You okay?'

"She doesn't want to talk about it. Happy place, happy time?" Patience raised her eyebrows.

"That's just nonsense," Sangrya said with a wave of her long pink fingernails. 

"You're with your girls now. This is exactly when, where and how you need to talk. We all have your back. Patience and me, we been talking. She ain't tell you that? Patience, you and your surprises. That's right, Vy. No worries, we are going to make lemonade out of lemons, sister."