Fighting Back

"So, I think we've got a lot of explanations to give," said Flames. After a great deal of walking, they had reached the car again, had gotten inside it for extra warmth, and were now talking amongst themselves. "I found out a ton of information that I think is rather important, and I also want to hear what you guys did when you were in prison."

"That's easy," said Adam. "Nothing. We waited around and talked about dumb things to pass the time. Like what was happening with you -about where you were and why everyone seems to hate you now - and how we were going to get out... we didn't really think of much in that area, actually." 

"That about sums it up pretty well," said Rick.  

Flames wrinkled his nose. "That's all you did? Just sit around?" 

"We couldn't really do anything else. There's not much you can do while in a jail cell, if you can remember from earlier." 

"Yeah, I do." He frowned. "But you didn't come up with any, you know, battle strategies?" 

"It's kind of a hard thing to do when you don't know much about what's happening or even where you are," said Adam. "Like I said, the most we did was try to figure out how we could get out. And Rick wasn't too keen to break out after what apparently happened to me." 

Flames looked at Rick, and he shrugged at him. 

"I wasn't going to let everyone get in trouble, dude."  

"Yeah, I know," said Adam. 

"Well," said Flames, "it's a good thing I haven't been so idle." 

"Yeah, what happened to you?" said Annmarie. "All we heard was that you were put in another jail cell far away from ours and were in a state of unconsciousness for hours. How did you get out?" 

"Well, Annmarie, it's a strange sort of story," he said. "How did I get out? Well, I got my bail paid for by you - a you that has somehow been here the whole time and knows everything there is to know. And had four hundred dollars on hand." 

"What?" 

"Another version of you came and got me out." 

She raised an eyebrow. "Continue." 

"There's another Annmarie?" said Adam. "How does that work? Where would she even have come from?" 

Flames shrugged. "Don't ask me, that's probably some weird physics theory thing. But the important thing is that I was rescued. The other you took me back to her house, where she's apparently been hiding from the agency for a while." 

Her eyes widened and Adam said, "What?" 

"That's kind of an obvious conclusion to come to," said Rick. "I mean, you two are... sort of... together." 

Flames rolled his eyes. 

"And she would be persecuted for that. Because she would probably be suspected of knowing top secret information about you." 

"Trust me, I don't," said Annmarie.  

"Yeah, but they would think you do. And if he had to tell one place in that stupid organization where he was hiding, who do you think he would tell?" 

"I vote her," said Flames, pointing at Annmarie.  

"You see what I mean?" Rick said to her. "Maybe they're not so dumb over there after all. So, Flames, you got rescued by the brave princess Annmarie. Somehow. Did she tell you anything?" 

"Oh, yeah. She told me tons of stuff. For instance, she told me why all it's all been happening in the first place - and you'll never believe who's behind all this."