Reunited

"ADAM!"

The man jumped and nearly spilled his coffee all over himself. He stared at the three of them with a startled look on his face.

"I - what the -"

Rick ran over and wrapped his arms around him in a hug, a huge grin on his face.

"Adaaaamyourehereohmygoshyoureactuallyhereyouweredeadyouweredeadandyourehereaaahohmygoshyourehere -" he said, although it sounded more like "ashdhshsjdhdsj".

"Um," said Adam. He stared at Flames and Annmarie awkwardly and patted Rick on the back. "It's okay, dude."

Rick let go and stared at him, his eyes wide and his lips parted in awe. "You're here."

"Yeah, I think we've established that." He laughed awkwardly and scratched his ear. "Well. I haven't seen you in a while. Why are you here? I thought we parted months ago."

Rick raised his eyebrows. "You don't know?"

"Don't know what?" At that moment, he noticed Flames and Annmarie. "And who are they?"

"You know me, you weirdo," said Flames.

"Flames," said Adam. "You've aged, I see. Good to see you again. Although I still don't know why you're here at all," he added, glaring at Rick.

"Long story," he said. "Oh, I stole your rocket and left it in 2011." He smiled at him awkwardly.

"I'm not even going to ask," said Adam. "Well, I can't wait to hear what you have to say. All of it. And who's your friend?"

Annmarie stepped forward and stuck out her hand. "I'm Annmarie, pleased to meet you. So you're the Adam I've been hearing so much about." She laughed.

Adam stared at her.

"What?" She put down her hand and stepped back.

"Annmarie," he muttered, and his gaze briefly fell to the ground. Then he looked up and added, in a normal tone, "Nothing. Just a bit dazed. Now can you tell me why we're happening to meet again? Or am I just going to repeatedly ask it while you ignore me?"

Just then the door with the MANAGEMENT gold plate on it opened and the man from before stepped through, looking as if his brief visit there had taken all his remaining energy.

"Mrs. Bokan will see you now," he said.

"Come with us if you want to hear everything," Rick said to Adam.

"Okaaay..." he said as they walked off. He wandered towards Flames. "So, how have you been doing?"

"Swell," Flames said. "Better than you, actually."

"Oh, really?"

"Yeah, I think so. Anyway, get inside."

Adam rolled his eyes and followed him into the room. It was reasonably well sized, with a desk, five chairs, microwave and small refrigerator, potted plant, and a few cabinets. At the desk was a pretty, relatively young woman with wild dark hair, tapping a pencil against the surface.

"Whoa," she said as Adam walked in. "Three of you? What happened? Cloning accident?"

"Something like that," said Rick.

She raised her eyebrows. "Fair enough."

"Annmarie's a nice extra touch, though," he added.

"Shut it, or I'm leaving," said Annmarie with a scowl.

"Argumentative, too," said the woman, a grin appearing on her face. "Was this your birthday wish, Adam?"

"Be quiet, Lights."