eighteen

annie's pov
we got out of the car and i grabbed my towel. hayley started running to the sand so i followed her, then we saw hayden. she ran up to him and hugged him and i walked the rest of the way. i hugged him and said hi after.
"can we go in the water?" hayley asked.
"hold on let's wait for a few minutes." i said. we set up our towels and then we sat with hayden and talked. i took of the hoodie i was wearing to reveal my bathing suit. i think i saw hayden staring a little bit, but it's probably all in my head. when mom and dad came we went into the water while they watched us on shore. we ran up to the crashing waves and hayley just dove in.
"how did you do that it's so cold!" i yelled. she laughed and then splashed me.
"hey don't splash me! splash hayden!" i yelled. she started splashing him and then he splashed me back. i ran to where hayley was and went under water and came back up. i picked her up and walked further out and threw her in. we laughed and then started playing around. it started to become high tide so we either tried to go under the waves or ride them.
"we should surf!" hayley said.
"we don't have boards." i explained.
"but they have rentals!" she said.
"i don't know, besides i don't think i'd be good at it." i said.
"that's why we need to try!" she added.
"okay fine, but we have to ask for the money." i said. we got out and ran up to our parents.
"mommy can we please rent surfboards?" hayley asked.
"i don't know about that..." mom said.
"please? we promise to make the most out of them!" i added.
"promise you won't just leave them here?" she asked.
"we promise." hayley and i said at the same time. she handed us the money and then gave some to hayden.
"oh no it's okay." he said.
"no go ahead." mom said. she insisted that he get a board so he gave in. you could tell he wanted to but didn't want to take her money. we went over to the rental hut and then gave them the money.
"which one would you like?" the man asked.
"hmm... can i have the purple one?" i asked.
"yes," he handed me the board," and what about you?" he asked hayley.
"can i have the yellow one?!" she asked excitedly.
"why yes you may," he grabbed it and gave it to hayley," and which one would you like?" he asked hayden.
"can i have the blue one?" he asked.
"yes here you go!" he said and handed it to hayden.
"thank you! have a good day!" we said.
"you're welcome! you too!" he said. we walked back over to mom, who was vlogging.
"wanna show off the boards?" she asked. we nodded and then she went one by one. we sat down and put the straps on our ankles and then went to the water.
"oh gosh i haven't even gotten in and i already fell off." i said and they laughed. we walked in and started paddling to the area where the waves started and then we turned around and waited for the waves to get a good size.
"how do i do this exactly?" hayden asked.
"just do what they do in movies!" hayley said.
"ha i'll try." hayden said. we could see mom vlogging from the shore. we saw a wave coming that looked good so we started paddling forward and then when it came to us we stood up. hayley got knocked down first, probably since she's smaller than us. i was doing pretty well and then i realized hayden got knocked off. the wave started slowing down and soon enough i was on land.
"MOMMY DID YOU SEE ME?!" i asked really excited.
"yeah you did good job annie!" she said and high-fived me. hayden and hayley came up and high-fived me.
"here take this." mom said and handed me the gopro.
"ooh good idea!" i said. i attached it the the front of my board and then we went back in the water a few more times. i fell over a few times, and so did hayley and hayden, but we each went all the way at least once. we decided to go back to our little area to eat. we set the boards down and sat on them. mom gave us each $5.00 and we went to a snack bar. i got a salad, hayley got a peanut butter and jelly, and hayden got a turkey and cheese sandwich. we walked back and sat on the surfboards and ate.
"now you have to wait 20 minutes before you go back in!" daddy said.
"what? that's just a myth!" i said.
"nope you'll be cursed forever if you go in before then." he said again.
"ugh fine, i'll go by the water, not in it." i said. we started walking down there and then hayley did a cartwheel down. i did one after her and then we watched hayden attempt to do one. we walked down to the edge of the water and started to do gymnastics. we tried to show hayden a few things but, let's be honest, he's about as flexible as a plastic spoon. soon enough daddy came down and he was spotting me, and i even got in his shoulders a few times. he spotted hayden a few times and he finally got it. we clapped and then played around a little more.
"last one in is a rotten egg!" hayley yelled and ran to the water. me and hayden looked at each other and started running. we got there and tied.
"i win!" i yelled and ran to the end of the water.
"no! we tied!" hayden said.
"whatever you say." i shrugged.
"that's it!" he said and walked over and picked me up. he started walking into the water and i could tell he was gonna throw me in.
"no wait i'm sorry you win!" i said trying to avoid the cold water.
"nope it's too late!" he said and the next thing i knew i was surrounded by cold water. i came back to the surface and stood up.
"i'll get you back for that." i said.
"sure you will." he said. hayley came over and high-fived hayden.
"hey!" i said.
"sorry annie but you always do it to me!" hayley said.
"okay fair enough." i said.
"can i flip off your shoulders?" hayley asked.
"you can try." i said and moved my hair out of the way. she jumped up and then stood up, only to fall off. she tried a few more times and finally got it. the flip wasn't the best but it was fun.
"that looks so fun!" i pouted.
"wanna try?" hayden asked.
"for real?" i asked.
"yeah." he said. i walked over and then got on his shoulders and steadied myself. i grabbed his hands for balance and then let go. kinda wishing i didn't have to let go, not gonna lie. i prepared and then flipped off.
"YAY THAT WAS FUN!" i yelled.
"me and hayden high-fived with both hands, then brought them down. once they reached the water we let go.
"HAYDEN, ANNIE, HAYLEY, COME HERE!" mom yelled out to us. we made our way to shore and walked over to her.
"me, daddy, and hayden's dad are going somewhere tonight so you guys can either stay at the hotel or go to hayden's house." mommy said. me and hayden looked at each other excitedly and then i looked at mommy.
"hayden's house!" i said.
"okay, are you okay with that hayhay?" mom asked hayley. she smiled and nodded.
"wait where are you going?" i asked.
"nowhere important." she replied.
"oh?" i questioned.
"okay we can only stay for 10 more minutes so do what you want with the time, but return the surfboards please." she said and walked away. the water was pretty calm so we returned them first. it was the same man so we had a little conversation before we went back. i grabbed my sweatshirt and threw it on, and then we packed all the stuff up. everyone put on their cover-ups and such. hayley laid down with the adults and started telling them about everything that we did in the water.
"wanna walk on the beach?" i asked hayden.
"sure." he said smiling at me, and me returning it. we told the parents and then we started walking. it was silent for a few seconds until i spoke up.
"nemo is better."
"whatever you say." he said and shrugged, mimicking me from earlier.
"i had that coming." i said. we kept walking and talking about random things.
"hey look at this shell!" i said and picked it up. it was a conch shell.
"oh cool. it still has a conch thing in it." he said.
"wait what?!" i yelled.
"chill it can't hurt you." he laughed.
"hey don't laugh at me!" i said.
"sorry leblanc." he smiled. i smiled back.
"should we put it back in the water?" i asked.
"yeah." he replied. i walked over and put it in once i was far enough.
"goodbye jerry! i love you!" i said.
"jerry?" hayden asked when i got back.
"what, do you have a better idea?" i asked.
"no, but it's a conch shell." he said.
"a conch shell named jerry." i said with sass in my voice. we laughed and kept walking. we got to the end of the part of the beach.
"aw i don't wanna go back." i pouted.
"you don't want to go to my house?" he asked with fake sadness.
"oh i'm sorry summerall." i said. we started walking back.
"ow my foot!" i spoke and grabbed my foot.
"are you okay?" hayden asked.
"yeah i stepped on something though." i said. i took my hand off my foot to see blood all over it.
"oh god i think there's broken glass here." he said. he took of his shirt and then started folding it in a line.
"what are you doing?" i asked.
"using my shirt as a bandaid." he replied. he took it and wrapped it around my foot, making sure it was secure.
"here i'll carry you back." he said.
"you sure?"i asked.
"yeah i'm sure." he said. i jumped on his back and he carried my back to the chairs. he put me down and i saw that his shirt already had stains soaking through it.
"oh no what happened?" hayley asked and ran up to me.
"oh nothing i just stepped in some glass." i said, trying not to worry her.
"oh, mommy and daddy are putting the things back in the car, i'll go get them!" she said and ran to the car. hayden sat on the sand and started to untie his shirt to see it.
"it's not that bad, i think you'll be okay." he said.
"yeah i hope. sorry about your shirt." i said.
"oh no it's fine." he replied. just then mommy came running over.
"oh annie are you okay?" she asked and sat next to hayden.
"yeah i'm fine it just hurts to walk." i said.
"hey i carried you!" hayden said.
"true but i did take a few steps to sit down." i said.
"well thank you hayden." mom said. she wrapped his shirt back on it and carried me to the car.
"we should go back to the hotel." dad said.
"oh no it's okay you have somewhere to be!" i said.
"but your foot-"
"it's okay i can manage." i reassured them.
"are you sure?"
"i'm sure." i smiled. we all got in our cars and drove to the summeralls.

~~
i sat on the couch, and watched the parents leave. we got a wrap and an old pair of their crutches for me.
"are you okay?" hayley asked.
"i'm fine hayley." i smiled.
"good. can we watch a movie?" she asked.
"sure." i said. hayden turned on the tv and sat by us.
"what do you wanna watch?" he asked.
"finding nemo!"she said eagerly.
"great choice hay." i laughed. hayden smirked at me and then turned it on.
"hey hayley... do you like nemo or dory better?" hayden asked. i rolled my eyes and laughed.
"hm... i don't know, but crush is my favorite!"she said. i smirked back at hayden and then we watched the movie.

authors note
okay the next chapter will be up soon! ly guys ALSO THANKS FOR 5K WHAT LIKE YOU GUYS ARE THE ABSOLUTE BEST