The Beginning: Hogwarts

Ivy's nerves didn't settle as she sat down at the Slytherin table. Instead, they were replaced with a new kind of fear. The fear of having a new home.

She focused her energy on watching the hat as others were sorted. It was amazing, in reality, the fact that an old hat could know yourself better than you do. She payed close attention, not minding her slight hunger. However, by the time "Whitby, Kevin!" was called to the hat, her stomach was growling profusely and she knew she had to eat something. As Kevin hustled over to the Hufflepuff table, Professor McGonagall carried the stool and hat away.

An old, wrinkly man pushed himself to his feet and walked over to where the stool had been a moment before. He smiled at the students, his arms opened wide in welcome. Ivy stared in awe at his long, white beard and friendly expression. Immediately, she liked him.

"I have only two words to say to you," he told them, his voice sounding similar to that of an old grandfather. "Tuck in."

A few cheers erupted throughout hall, the product of teenage boys hollering combined with the fact that the golden plates on the table suddenly filled with food, shocking some of the new students.

Ivy stared at the glorious feast in front of her, and would have continued to stare she not heard her name called from across the table.

"Ivy!" she looked up to see Orion Malfoy sitting across from her, next to his sour-looking brother, with a cheeky looking grin on his face. She gave a small wave back. "Eat something, will you?"

She laughed, and nodded at the boy, taking the plate of mashed potatoes and putting a large quantity on her plate. Soon enough, she felt too stuffed to eat another bite.

As Ivy was finishing her food, she felt someone sit next to her. She looked up to see Orion to her left.

"I got tired of listening to everyone," he told Ivy, even though she didn't ask.

"Your brother and you look a lot alike," she noted, looking back and forth between the two boys.

Orion smiled, "Yes, we do." They stayed silent for a moment, and just listened to the sound of chatter through the hall. Their silence was broken when Ivy began to giggle.

"Why are you laughing?" Asked the boy, a smile full of wonder filling his face.

"I just can't believe it!" She exclaimed, "I just cannot believe that this is all real!"

"Hogwarts?" Orion furrowed his brows. "Did you not know Hogwarts was a school?"

"No, well yes, but I mean magic!" She said as her smile grew even wider. However, Orion just looked more confused.

"Are you-" he cut himself off, "I thought-" This time, he was cut off by the old man standing once again, sending a hush through the crowd. Orion shook his head, as if shaking the thought away, and regained a slight smile.

Ivy turned her attention to the man. Unfortunately, the sounds of howling wind and pouring rain against the roof made it difficult to hear him, and combined with the sound Of Orion's brother talking to his friends, it was impossible.

"What's he saying?" She whispered to Orion, who seemed to be paying attention only to his brother's words. Something about how he was certain he was going to win a tournament of some sort. Everyone seemed to be agreeing.

"Dumbledore? Explaining the tournament." He leaned slightly across the table to hear his brother better.

"The tournament?" Ivy asked, "What tournament?" Her words caused Orion to turn back to her, cocking his head to the side.