Chapter 10

The sound of Rain pouring outside kept her awake that night. The sounds of thunder rumbling the ground from how loud it was. The home was quiet, minus the radio tuned into Diamond City. A weight pressed into the bed beside her, her head turning to see who it was. Arthur got under the blankets with her, wrapping a arm around her waist and pulling her close. 

"I'm sorry." He mumbled, holding Alyssa close. 

"There's nothing to be sorry for. I get why you didn't want to give me the letter. I just...I don't understand why he would leave now..." She responded, pressing her back against his chest. 

"Danse is just...trying to come face with himself." 

"Why are you so calm about this? The knowledge that a traitor synth is out there walking around." 

"Cause he matters to you." Alyssa sighed a bit, her body tensing up to the sound of a large boom of thunder. Arthur gave a light laugh and kissed her shoulder softly. "I'll keep you safe from the big bad thunder." 

-

-

His eyes glanced into the flames of the fire in front of them. "So you're a synth?" MacCready spoke up.

Danse glanced at him then back to the flames, giving a nod. "I didn't know as much as the next person." 

"Jeez...So your whole life has been a lie." 

"Listen, MacCready, I don't need you telling me shit I already know." 

"No, I know. But you're running from your problems instead of facing them."

"I'm leaving to keep the whole damn Commonwealth safe." 

"No you're not. One synth isn't a threat to humanity. You're not a threat to humanity, especially after all you've done. What about Alyssa, huh? It's no secret you like her and now you're just hurting her. And the fact you care about her at all shows that deep down you really are human." 

Danse released a soft sigh before looking into the flames once more. "Thing is, I'm not." 

MacCready huffed, starting to get frusterated with Danse. "Yes you are! You're more human than probably anyone in the damn Institute! You know how to love people, how to have dedication, how to feel!" Robert stood and threw his hands up. "If you leave, you're hurting everyone that cares about you! You'll be hurting Alyssa! Are you really going to do that?"" 

Danse growled a little bit. "Listen up, MacCready, I have reasons for leaving and I-" 

"Then tell me them. What are your reasons for leaving?" 

"Cause I can't control myself around Alyssa!" 

"So you're pussying out on everything else?!" 

Danse growled a bit more. "You don't get it." 

"Bullshit I don't get it. I hope you know that before I came to the Commonwealth, I left behind my wife and son." Danse went to say something but released a sigh instead. "Danse, I get it. But you can't run from your problems. You need to go back to sanctuary. You're safe there and Alyssa's not going to allow you to be hurt." 

Danse looked down. "I'm just scared of hurting Alyssa. I can't put myself around her without wanting her." 

MacCready sighed before standing up. "We're heading back. You need to talk to her." 

Danse looked to the fire before sighing and nodding. "If we leave now we'll be back by morning." 

Danse kicked out the fire before turning on a flashlight. MacCready and the ex Paladin started out of the building, heading back in the direction of Sanctuary Hills