Chapter 15

-Freddies POV-

It somehow fasinated me how the smoke looked as if puffed past my lips. It started off as a strong white cloud and then suddenly disappearing only leaving the smell of smoke in the air. When I was fifthteen I thought smoking was the coolest thing in the world and my only worry was perfecting a 'O' shaped cloud of smoke. Now smoking just left me with no money. A side effect of being a stupid teenager.

'You coming to the big race tonight?' Calum asked, sitting down on the damp curb, next to me. I shook my head, tapping the ashes on to the ground and placing the cigarette between my lips again.

'No, I was out late last night'

'Freddie, you need to find the money' Calum interrupted. It was obvious he didn't care less if I was going to the 'big race' tonight he was just looking for a conversation starter.

'You only have a number of days and going by the fact out were out drinking last night, I'm getting worried'

'There is just no way I can get £ 10,000. This is all over a stupid gamble.'

Calum raised his voice and stood up from the curb. 'This is not over a gamble Freddie. No one in their right mind would murder someone over a game of fucking pocker. Don't you see?. This is so much more than £10,000 pounds. This is Davids way of life. He kills Freddie.'

'But..'

'He kills Freddie , don't you get that ? He will leave you lying in a pool of your own blood , bullet wound in your chest. Fuck it even your skull. He's dangerous Freddie , I don't think you know what he's capable of doing. He gets a thrill out of killing people and unless you want to have Eleanor lying at your feet in less than a weeks time, be my fucking guest.'

'Don't you fu...'

'I'm just telling you what you need to hear' He said softly. He was right, about everything.

'You should race tonight' He mumbled. I chuckled, shaking my head in disbelief. 'its an easy enough race, 3k prize , in and out job ' 'and if I lose?' I almost shouted. 'you won't lose, ask no question and I'll tell you no lies, it's a fools game , if you had any sense in that melon shaped head of yours you would jump at the opportunity " 'I can't race, i just, listen i cant I'm sorry "I sighed.

-Eleanors POV-

Thanks for calling Cooper, love you too' I hung up the phone and tossed it on the couch.

'Was that your brother?' Naomi asked, eyes glued to the TV.

'Yeah' I sighed.

'Your parents still hate you?' she laughed.

'Of course' My parents were really upset about this whole dropping out of college thing. I mean if its not for me its not for me. My parents were the most paranoid couple I had ever come across. The constant need for a perfect family based on the opinions of neighbours and family friends.

When I was nine I remember breaking my arm. My mum picked me up from the bricked garden and ran inside with me shouting for my dad. 

'Oh Robert, what will the neighbours think when they see her in a cast. They will think we are irresponsible parents' 

And that sentence basically summed up the personality of my Mother.

Cooper was the perfect child. He could do no wrong in their eyes. He would marry soon and then have children and ask mum and dad for their opinion on names and everything will be all unicorns and rainbows.

Well I'm afraid it's not a world full of unicorns and rainbows. No life ever planned out perfect, not even Coopers.

.An Arctic Monkeys song, Freddie showed me, sang from my phone, interrupted my thought.

'Hello love' I heard as I held the phone to my ear. 

'Hey Freddie'

'Listen, I've got held up at work so I'll be late home. can't get the engine of the cars sorted so Calum and I are going to fix it.'

'It's ok, I understand. I'll see you when you get home'

'I won't be late, I promise'

'It's fine Freddie' I laughed at his concern down the phone.

'I love you' I don't think I'd ever get use to him saying that to me

'I love you too' 

-Freddie's POV-

The engine purred violently at the starting line. 

'You can do this ok? its a straight course, just keep driving forward as fast as you can' Calum failed completely at pep-talks. I mean 'Drive forward as fast as you can? really?'

I looked over towards Neil who stood watching curiously, leaning against the wall with his arms folded across his broad chest. My attention flickered to Rodney, who grinned viciously, holding a cigarette between his teeth.

'For Eleanor' Calum sighed. My head snapped up giving him my full attention.

'For Eleanor' I smiled.

He stepped away from the car and walked towards Neil. The bright yellow car next to me growled. The sandy street ahead of us was lit up with small fires, scattered along the road.

A girl with long dark brown curls stood in front of our cars holding a red cloth above her head. Her shorts showed of 99% of her legs and she leaned forward hoping that her ass was on display for all behind her to see

She waved the cloth above her head. I sat up straight, my engine growling in response to my competition.

She swung the cloth down by her side and without hesitation I sped past her.

'just keep driving' I whispered to myself, not daring to look to see where my competition was. My speed accelerated just as quick as my heart rate. The sand raised up around the car, swarming me in dust.

The wheels felt as if they were failing to touch the ground. within seconds, the handmade finishing line was in sight. My car glided over the finishing line. I stepped on the breaking, sliding a few feet after the line.

I sighed in relief.  

'I did it' I took a deep breath. 'I did it'

I watched as the banged up, yellow car pulled up next to me. The driver hit the palms of his hands against the steering wheel, kicking open the door and walking towards the car. 

he fired an envelope in the window and walked away without a word. 

£3,000.

'You fucking did it' Calum shouted. 'That was fucking unbelievable. Oh the adrenaline'

'Yeah, you did alright kid' Rodney commented. 'Congrates' 

For once Rodney seemed to give me a genuine smile but there will always be something I don't like about Rodney.