Game Two - Dominguez

"This is going to be another tough game, guys," Hosner told us Friday evening during our walkthrough before the game. "They're going to be one of the fastest and most talented teams we will face this year. They're generally one of the top teams in California. We can beat them though because we might be one of the toughest and fundamentally-sound teams they will face."

---------------------------------------------------

The next day, we got to Hansen Stadium at Dixie State College early and prepared for the game. The team seemed nervous, but also ready to go. We were hungry to get that first win of the season. We weren't about to back down from the team just because they were supposed to be a good team.

Dominguez won the coin toss and elected to kickoff. They kicked it right to Tanner and he took it 92 yards for a touchdown. That was the best possible way to start this game. Michael boomed the extra point through to put us up 7-0 already. 

After the kickoff, the defense would be the first focus. We trotted out onto the field and I lined up against their top receiver, number 3. He was shorter than I was, which wasn't typical. Receivers were typically my height or taller. The first couple of plays were runs up the middle that didn't get much if anything. With a third down and about eight yards to go, I knew it was a passing down. Their quarterback dropped back as the smallish receiver took off on a slant and was ridiculously fast. The quarterback threw the ball quick and number 3 adjusted to make the catch. He shot off downfield  upon catching the ball and was tackled by Justin after a gain of 14 yards and a first down.

The next three downs were all backwards as the defensive line held strong and knocked the ball down at the line on second down and got to the quarterback on third down for the sack, which was fortunate for me because I was struggling to figure out the speed of this little receiver.

"You alright out there, Abel?" Coach Croshaw asked during the punt return.

"Yeah, I'm good. He's faster than I thought he would be. I can contain him though," I said. "I just gotta get used to his speed."

After the punt, it was time to show off our offense. 

We headed out, huddled up and then I took my place near the far sideline. Across from me was that same little number 3. He blanketed me on every pass attempt. It wasn't going to be an easy game for me. Luckily, we still had Justin. He was breaking away from the pocket and picking up chunks of yards at a time. Taylor was also getting open as he was a bit faster than a lot of linebackers, so he had a couple of catches that took us down inside the five yard line. From there, it was just too easy for Justin. He scampered into the end zone and capped off the drive with seven more points after Michael's PAT. 14-0. Maybe coach was mistaken about them being one of the best teams we will face this year.

The defense took to the field again and the defensive line and linebackers weren't giving up anything on the ground. Dominguez tried to go to the air on its third third down of the drive. Number 3 ran an in-route and the ball came in hot from the quarterback, but it was behind both the receiver and me. I was about a half-step behind the receiver, too. I had to reach back to even touch the ball. I tipped it barely up, but it went right to Chaz, who was already moving towards it and caught it for an interception.

The first quarter came to a close two plays later. Two plays after that, Justin found the end zone on a 43-yard run that didn't require much more than a simple sprint to the goal. 21-0 after Michael's kick.

Our sideline was pumped up. This is what the East game should have looked like. We should have just dominated them. 

After the kickoff, the defense went back out looking for another turnover. First down, number 3 ran right passed me and caught a huge pass for a 48 yard gain. He would have scored had the ball been placed better, but he had to slow down for it, giving me a chance to catch up and make the tackle.

The next play, the running back picked up a first down with 25 yards, and then scored two plays later from eight yards out, placing the score at 21-7.

The next offensive play for us was a pass to me deep down field, but the ball sailed a little bit and number 3 picked it off. He got away from me and took the ball 44 yards back near the red zone again.

Three plays later, the quarterback snuck into the end zone from two yards out, making it closer than it should have been at the half, 21-14.

"C'mon! We're better than these guys! Defense, you need to step up and play like you did in the first quarter!" Hosner was screaming during halftime. For leading by a touchdown, he was furious. The other coaches weren't very impressed with our first half either.

The third quarter was a defensive battle in which neither team scored any points. Our offense sputtered as Dominguez seemed to get faster and stronger in the heat. Our defense matched the intensity with another interception by Chaz, who was having an incredible game. I also hadn't allowed another catch, but their quarterback wasn't throwing much either. It seemed to turn into a grind-it-out type of game.

Dominguez was finally putting together a long drive that kept our defense out for a lot longer than we wanted as the third quarter ended. The Dons were at the 32 yard line looking for points to tie the game. It was second down with 10 yards to go as the fourth quarter started. The quarterback snapped the ball and faked a handoff to the running back who got eaten up in the backfield, but the quarterback rolled out and hit number 3 on an out-route for eight yards. 

The next play, the running back barely got a first down as the referees placed the ball on the 22 yard line. Two plays later, the quarterback dropped back and threw the ball to the end zone to the tight end, but Justin jumped in front of it and recorded the interception and the end of the drive.

On offense, we started getting a drive together also and Justin seemed to be doing it all by himself. I couldn't get open at all, neither could Caden, Mike or Taylor. Justin was scrambling for his life and was doing just fine. As the field got shorter, so did the gains until the drive stalled on the 21 yard line. Coach sent in Michael to get some security points. He drilled it, right down the center. Now we had a 10 point lead with just over 8 minutes left in the game.

After a punt from each team, Dominguez was driving again. There was 4:12 left in the game and Dominguez was on the 39 yard line. I was completely focused, number 3 wasn't going to get another catch as long as I was on the field. 

The Dons were getting most of their yards by running the ball, with a few passes, but not to number 3. The quarterback hit his tight end over the middle for a first down and brought down on the 25 yard line. The clock was running still though.

Next play, the Dominguez running back took it the 25 yards for his second touchdown of the day. There was an audible groan from the home side of the college stadium that wasn't any bigger than Panther Stadium. The score now was 24-21. An onside kick had to be coming.

Hosner called for his onside kick team, but Dominguez kicked off normally. It bounced a couple of times before the ball slid into the end zone, luckily for us. It was a touchback. One or two first downs and we will have secured our first win of the season.

First down, a run for two yards. Second down, another run this time for only one yard. Third down, Justin snapped the ball and looked to pass, I had some separation, but I knew Justin wasn't going to actually throw. He scrambled and didn't quite get the first down. Fourth and one, but Hosner wasn't about to risk it. He sent Michael out to punt. There was less than a minute left when the punt returner was tackled.

There was no time for Dominguez to be running the ball, so coach had us all backed up in a prevent-like defense. The first down was a short completion to the tight end for 12 yards. The second first down was an incomplete pass down the opposite sideline of me. On second down, the quarterback snapped the ball and dropped back to pass, but our defensive line was too strong and fast. They got to the quarterback in no time and brought him down.