Chapter Fifteen

October 30, 2013
"It's later, July."
Brooklyn

"What's this?" My dad sets a bag on the table.

I look at him confused.

Maybe he's being nice it's almost twelve.

I step up and open it.

Oh.

I look over at my momma in the kitchen.

"Mommy said I can dye my hair," I look back at him.

"Every time I catch you in something it's always some shit ya momma said. Why don't you ask me?" He asks.

I try to stop myself from scowling.

Nigga, why would I?

"I can't hear ya," he says seriously.

"Ra'el, It's his birthday. He just wanted to change his hair. The boy done had dreads all his life," she interrupts.

He glares at her.

"Why are you mad though?"

He turns around slowly.

"Why is it a big deal? Of course I wouldn't ask you anything. Every time I say something or try to do something you get mad," I try to explain.

He looks at me like he's impressed . He grabs the bag and goes to the kitchen.

"Stop being so mean to him," I hear my mom whisper to him.

"He ain't normal," he says back to her.

Well thank you. That meant so much.

He looks back at me and steps on the pedal for the trash can lid to go up. I hold my hands up.

"Hey!" I protest.

He dumps all my stuff in there.

"If you go in there you and get it you might not see your birthday," he says.

I furrow my eyebrows and clench my fist. Small tears start to sting my eyes.

My mom lets this happen all the time.

He walks away.

"I'm going to bed."

"Okay I'm tired. I'll be there in a second," she sighs.

"Brook," she calls my name.

I stop myself from crying.

"Why are you always letting him do this to me? I didn't ask for anything for my birthday, I never do. Everything I want always gets shitted on no matter what," I tell her.

I walk away and go down the hall before she can say anything. I push my door open and pause.

What?

I gasp and look around in shock. I quickly close the door behind me and lock it.

Everything's decorated.

"Happy birthday, It's-al-most-ya day. Happy birthday," he dances.

My cheeks start burning.

Oh man.

My emotions switch up all too fast and I finally let a tear leave my eye.