Chapter 9

The drive was long. Bucky had stayed silent most of the time as Steve went. Sam was in the front, iPod in had and earphones he had found in. His music was so loud, Bucky and Steve could hear it, but it gave them a sort of privacy in their eyes.

"...I was hoping I could escape Winter's criminal past." Bucky sighed.

"I'm sorry Buck. Winter was using your body, so they think it's your fault too."

"I did everything they said though. Except the bombing." Bucky ran a hand through his hair. "I hate this. Being on the run, I hate it. I'd prefer to be back in Brooklyn again, living my days in a retirement home. Do you think they'd take me?"

"You're old in soul, not body, so probably not." Steve chuckled lightly. "Sure haven't lost your humor, huh Buck?"

"I wasn't joking." He deadpanned. "I need a vacation home to live the rest of my days out."

"Well, when all of this is over, let's go travel wherever you please, tropical, urban, dessert, you name it, we'll even visit Brooklyn again. You haven't seen it since before we left to war, right?"

"Yeah...I'd like to visit home...See if the Happy Clam's still there again. Score a dance if I can." He gave Steve a small smile, which he returned.

"You can have any partner you want, as long as their name is 'Steve Rogers'."

"That's alright by me." Bucky laughed softly as he stared down at his fiddling hands. "That's perfect." He mumbled under his breath.

❄️❄️❄️

When Sharon kissed him, he didn't expect it. He didn't expect thin, manicured fingers in his hair or smudging lip gloss, and he wasn't exactly comfortable with it either.

He pulled away quickly.

"Uh, I'm sorry, Sharon, you're nice but I, uh-"

"I read your old file." Sharon sighed. "I was hoping you didn't have feelings for Aunt Peggy anymore..."

"Actually-"

"Steven!" Bucky yelled curtly from his door, and Steve knew he was in trouble just from the use of the extra letter. "Hurry up, we don't know how long until they come chasing again!" He snapped and slipped back in the car, arms crossed much like a pout child after he slammed the door shut. He was sure it was jammed now.

"Someone's jealous." Sam smirked.

"Shut up." Bucky grumbled as Sharon gave a stiff nod and went back to the driver seat of her car as Steve grabbed their gear, glad to have his shield back. It gave him a homely feeling. A thing from his past that never left his side for long.

❄️❄️❄️

"...So...You and Sharon?" Bucky said tensely, trying to hide his jealousy.

"No. Nothing between us but friendship." Steve clarified, looking back at Bucky with the rear view mirror. "She's Peggy's niece."

"Oh, that's just great, if I couldn't beat the other before." Bucky scowled, not bothering to hide it now. Sam's music got a bit louder, obviously trying to tune them out.

"Beat the other? What the hell does that mean, Buck?"

"Please, you were totally into Peggy back then." Bucky spat. "She was into you too. I'm surprise you didn't leave me for her before I fell."

"Bucky!" Steve said in shock, stopping the car with a hard jolt before he turned back to the brunet, Sam scrambling for his phone that he'd dropped. "I can't believe you'd say that."