NINE

NINETEEN-EIGHTY
never underestimate a young soul
protecting a breakable heart

NINETEEN-EIGHTYnever underestimate a young soulprotecting a breakable heart

CHRISTMAS Eve of 1980 had not been as idealistic as planned. Callie had arranged for the most perfect day, inviting new parents James and Lily with baby Harry around for dinner, as well as Peter and Remus. Sirius had seemed fine with the plan until he became aware of the werewolf's attendance; it was then that his mood turned sour.

The group of friends sat around the table, laughing and drinking and enjoying the company in the run up to the holiday. Yet still, Sirius sat at the head of the table looking arguably more irritated and angry than usual. He was snappy and quiet, and while the others tried to ignore his foul temperament, it began to awkwardly loom amongst them, the elephant in the room.

After they'd finished their mains, albeit somewhat uncomfortably, Callie shot Sirius a look that could have killed as she began to clear plates away. He stood to help her, his chair audibly scraping against the floor due to the sheer silence of the room. The couple, usually bubbly and chatty, had morphed into quite the opposite, and the other four released a breath of relief they didn't know they'd been holding as they exited to the kitchen. This was not how they'd expected their Christmas Eve to play out.

In the kitchen, Sirius chucked down the pile of plates harshly into the sink, so hard that Callie was surprised they didn't smash. She shut the kitchen door behind them, approaching him with a fiery glare.

"What do you think you're doing? Why are you being such a prick, Sirius?" She raised an eyebrow, her nostrils flaring as anger coursed through her veins. He knew how much this meant to her and he'd ruined it with his hostile mood.

"You can't expect me to be polite in a room with him, can you?" Sirius frowned, leaning back nonchalantly against the countertop.

"Him? Who's him, Sirius? As far as I'm aware, that's a room full of your best friends! So what's happened? Tell me!"

Her words flew out frantically, as if the unknown crisis of the situation stressed her out to no end, and to an extent, Sirius wanted to put his bad temper behind him just to please her. His awful stubbornness would never allow it, though.

"Remus," He responded lowly, words coming out in a low whisper. "He's putting me right off lately, making me suspicious."

"Remus? He wouldn't hurt a bloody fly, Sirius! What's he done to you?"

Sirius eyed the door sceptically before continuing, as if one of the others would burst through the door any minute. In reality, they couldn't be further away if they tried, desperate to stay away from the high tensions of Sirius Black's awful disposition.

"You know it's been said there's a traitor close to the Potters. You don't think it could be him?"

As Sirius spoke quietly, Callie felt her jaw noticeably drop in shock. She knew of the rumour, and of course it worried her, especially with the baby around nowadays, but she'd never once considered it to be Remus.

Remus Lupin. One of her best friends for years, a close confidant and loyal mate who she could always depend upon. The suggestion of him being traitorous made her feel dizzy, and she leant against the counter for support, shaking her head in utter disbelief.

"Sirius! How could you even think that? Remus would never do anything to hurt them. He loves them with all his heart."

She could feel her heart cracking as Sirius' features stayed harsh and cold. His jaw was locked tightly, and she could tell he was grinding his teeth as he considered what to say next.

"You don't doubt him a little? People always say werewolves are less trustworthy, don't they? I reckon he's a spy. All sorts of freaks work for those dark side cunts."

"Don't you dare call him a freak again. You hear me?" The kitchen was utterly silent as she raised her voice slightly, her eyes wide with surprise. "Remus has been so selfless and kind to you all your life, Sirius, how could you? He's only ever treated you with respect! Do you think he wanted this? To be a werewolf? Of course he fucking didn't."

She turned away from him, unable to look him in the eye. Of course she wanted to believe him, side with him, but she couldn't allow him to deface their friend with no proof. Remus was genuine, she knew it, and Sirius could never convince her otherwise without solid evidence. Arguing with her fiancé pained her, but it was necessary.

"I didn't mean it, Ca-."

"I'm going to get dessert ready. Don't come back through unless you want to be polite to our friends. You'll make Harry cry." She huffed, grabbing the cheesecake she'd made earlier from the fridge.

Plastering a smile onto her face, she forced the door open and re-entered the room, laughing and chatting with their friends as per usual. Sirius remained in the kitchen, his head in his hands as he ran his fingers through his head.

He hated arguing with her. He loved her and he never wanted to hurt her, but God, he couldn't bear to see his friends get hurt, and he just couldn't trust Remus.

He listened at the door as he could hear his friends laughing at something inaudible, the soft coo of Harry's little giggle, and yet he couldn't bring himself to re-enter. He couldn't ruin Callie's night again, and so he sat at the kitchen table, listening impatiently to the fun that he wished he could join in on again.

The holidays were so far from his mind, but maybe, just maybe, Christmas Day would be better. Maybe he and Callie would forget this ever happened, and they'd go back to normal. Maybe.