V

Remember Me This Way

2014

Chapter V

“Yeah lad. Tonight? Sounds good, aye. See ya then.”

Cassie rolled her eyes as she listened to Tate on the phone to one of his friends; his voice taking on a manly tone and eliminating all softness and weakness that could possibly lace his voice.

Casper!” Tate called out to Cassie who was lounging around on the couch. “Make yourself scarce. I’m having a boy’s night.” Tate informed her, staring down at his phone while texting, making Cassie snort.

“They can’t see me douchebag.” Cassie grumbled and Tate rolled his eyes. “But I can and I don’t want to see your ugly mug while I drink beer and talk about pussy with my friends.” Tate expounded, smirking at Cassie who scrunched her face up in disgust.

“You’re revolting!” Cassie shouted, standing up and throwing her hands in the air. Tate simply scoffed at her and retorted with; “I’m a guy.”

*          *

*

Walking down the street Cassie wished she could kick the small pebbles on the ground and not alert the neighbourhood.

Thinking back to how she had secretly been hurt by Tate practically kicking her out of his house she felt her face scrunch in confusion – why did she care?

It’s not like she wanted to hang out with him…did she? No. This was Tate Coleman she was talking about. God knew they hated each other; dead or not she still held a grudge against him for making her life hell the past six years, all because he got sent to the naughty corner.

Cassie rolled her eyes. What a baby, she thought.

Crossing the street, looking for cars out of habit, Cassie jumped in fright at hearing the loud barks of two angry dogs behind a gate.

The dogs were looking right at her, barking like crazy at Cassie who frowned at them – she had once read that dogs and some babies were able to see things that ‘weren’t there’ according to most people. Dogs had stronger senses that humans did and that was why they could see what ‘wasn’t there’, but she wasn’t sure how they figured babies could see ‘ghosts.’

Before this, Cassie probably wouldn’t have even of given the possibility of ghosts a second thought – she had always believed in the light.

A sanctuary.

A heaven.

Something, afterwards at least.

Moving past the savagely barking dogs, Cassie faintly heard the crying of a small baby and her mind instantly raced with thoughts of Adelaide – remembering the nights when the little troublemaker kept her up or interrupted her concentration on her homework. Thinking about it now she had taken her family for granted.

Focusing on the baby crying, Cassie disappeared and reappeared in the bedroom of a young infant. Cassie didn’t understand how the whole ‘disappear – reappear’ thing worked, but she sure found it useful sometimes.

Staring down at the crying toddler, Cassie’s lips formed a small, sad smile.

“Shhh. Don’t cry little one. You’re too young for tears.” Cassie said, reaching down and placing her hand against the infant’s cheek, only for her hand to slip right through.