IX

Remember Me This Way

2014

Chapter IX

Tate had always imagined falling in love when he was in his early twenties; he would settle down, get married with the right woman, have a kid or two and live happily ever after and give his family the things his father never really had time to give him – things like his utter attention and total devotion and love.

He had never imagined he’d be staring at the ghost of a girl he used to hate and feeling nothing but something close to love.

Taking her hand, Tate gave her a soft smile to let her know in his own way that he didn’t hate her as much as she’d thought. It was the only thing he could do…he couldn’t express the strong feelings he had begun to feel out loud, so this would have to do.

Even though her skin was cold, her skin was soft and sparked a fire inside him.

Watching her carefully to gauge her reaction, Tate couldn’t stop his eyes from locking on her lips, and the yearning inside him rose one-hundred percent while his control slipped.

Leaning down Tate quickly changed course and gently kissed her cool cheek, not realising the effect it had on Cassie.      

“I’ll help you Casper.” Tate said giving her a grin and pulling back so she could take it in fully.

Cassie was left slightly breathless – if only she needed to breathe – from the affectionate kiss Tate had placed on her cheek and she unconsciously lifted her fingers to trail over the spot he had kissed.

Something burned inside her and she knew she wanted him to do it again.

Why was life so unfair?

She had always thought being in love with someone would be like a fairy-tale ending…but it wasn’t going to turn out like that this time.

She had dreamed of the handsome man who would walk into her life and make all her demons go away; he would make up for all the suffering she did in high school and he would see the beauty in her when she thought there was none. She envisioned the big proposal in front of all their friends; the enormous wedding; the perfect wedding dress and even perfect-er wedding night that would result in many babies and a happily ever after for everyone.

But no. She was cursed to have feelings for a boy who was the sole reason for her misery and torment all throughout her school years; a guy who was alive, while she was not.

It was easy to forget she was actually dead and although she hid it well, she always cringed internally whenever it was said.

Lifting her eyes to Tate’s, she saw his expression soften as he hooked his finger under her chin and silently demanded that she stare into his eyes.

“I don’t want to be dead Tate.” She murmured after a long, quiet moment and she watched as Tate’s eyes filled with sadness.

“I know Cas, I know…” He gently whispered as he wrapped his arms around her and brought her into his chest for a tight embrace.

“There were so many things that I never got to do. You know I’ve never been on a boat? I’ve never had my own pet. I’ve never been to a girl’s sleepover. I’ve never-I’ve never even been kissed before…” Cassie started out strong but towards the end, her voice was lost into an embarrassed murmur that had Tate pulling away with a shocked frown on his face.

“You’ve never been kissed?” He asked and she cast her eyes downward to avoid his judgemental gaze.

She shook her head and felt like disappearing but Tate gently cupped her cheek, making her eyes shoot to his.