X

Remember Me This Way

2014

Chapter X

“Maybe it wasn’t a m-murder; maybe it was a-,” Tate said, slightly stuttering on the word ‘murder’.

If that was the theory why hadn’t the police done anything about it? Cassie thought before she interrupted Tate, “It was a murder. It all makes sense. From what I can remember from that day I could swear I felt like I was being followed.”

Tate nodded numbly as he drove towards his house.

Cassie was slightly worried about Tate and how he seemed to be taking the news, but she couldn’t blame him. It was a nerve wrecking thing to learn that someone in your town was murdered…even worse that someone in your town was a murderer.

“Why do you think the police never investigated that I was murdered?” Cassie asked Tate, who went completely stiff.

“I-I’m not sure Cas. Maybe they had a suspect but not enough evidence? The physical report on your body said that there didn’t appear to be any foul play involved.” Tate supplied, his throat slightly dry from thinking about it.

Cassie sighed and thought long and hard about the situation.

This was why she couldn’t move on! Why she couldn’t find peace…because she didn’t have all the details.

Pulling into the driveway they made their way inside. It was well after three in the morning. Tate was extremely tired and sick of thinking. They both made their way to Tate’s room and he simply shrugged out of his clothes and stripped down to his boxers before climbing into bed.

He was way too tired to shower or get changed into clothes that would make Cassie more comfortable.

Cassie hid her grin as she felt Tate’s arms wind around her waist and pull her backwards into his muscled chest.

“Tate?” Cassie whispered in question but as usual Tate just shushed her and grumbled, “Casper, we’ve slept in more compromising positions, just shut up and sleep.”

Feeling slightly embarrassed at his words, Cassie relaxed in his arms. She figured the news about her being murdered shook him up rather badly. Being in his arms made her feel safe and she guessed he knew that. Despite everything she knew now that Tate obviously cared for her even a little bit for him to want to hold her and make her demons crawl away in humiliation.

But a part of Cassie knew that this couldn’t be. She would figure out what exactly had happened to her and then she would find peace. Cassie almost gasped at the feelings that ran through her when she realised that moving on would mean she would never see Tate again…he would never hold her; never talk to her; never hug her; never look at her…

The realisation hit her hard, like a slap to the face, that she didn’t just like Tate…She was in love with him.

Shit.