Part 6

Rylan's deep thoughts were ruined when he heard something. He snapped out of whatever he was thinking and crawled to the edge of the roof.

There, hanging on the branch of the apple tree next to the roof was none other than Amy, trying to climb on to the roof edge.

"A little help here!" she cried out to Rylan who hastily stuck his hand out for her to reach. She swung around the branch and landed with a soft 'thud'.

The smile on her face was evident. She looked at Rylan who was also smiling back. That always happened when she was around.

And he still doesn't know why.

"What are you doing here?" she asked him as carefully she sat down next to him. "John and Caleb were looking for you" she folded her knees and rested her hands on her lap. "They were playing tug-of war with a-" she paused when she caught sight of the orange shaded sky "Pretty" she commented.

Rylan didn't say anything, he looked down instead. He wasn't the talkative one, she was. But for some reason today he was quiet for a different reason altogether. A few moments of silence passed between them.

"I'll miss you too, you know" Amy said to him, answering his unheard question. This made Rylan look up.

"You will?" he said, surprised.

"Mmhmm" Amy smiled "You're my best friend" she punched him lightly on his arm, expecting a friendly punch in return. "Of course I will miss you". But all she got was a huge grin.

Best friend. That word made Rylan beam. He liked the sound of that.

"We wont be best friends anymore when you leave" Rylan pointed out to her. He looked at the sunset and immediately frowned. He has still has other best friends, John and Caleb and he sees them everyday. According to Rylan, best friends are those people you see everyday.

"We would still be best friends you know..." Amy said thoughtfully "So what if we can't see each other? We can't be best friends? That's just so dumb". Then she laughed at the thought of something.

"What's so funny?" Rylan questioned her, trying to find the comical situation in this.

"My Mom says friends are friends no matter where you are" she tilted her head, trying to remember something. "Aunty Emily is her best friend and she lives in Germany!" she smiled again.

"Well, your Mom's best friend visits her often" Rylan replied "You won't visit me anymore"

"Of course I will!" she shook her head "Who says I won't? My Dad would want to visit his brother. And I don't think Caleb's dad would mind"

"Really?" Rylan asked, his voice sounded faintly hopeful.

"Yeah!" Amy replied.

"You promise?" he asked her again.

"Yes Ry..." Amy sighed

"Well... okay..." he wasn't sure. But when it came to Amy, he was ready to take whatever she had to offer.

***