Chapter eight.

The weather couldn’t show my emotions more if it tried. It was freezing and raining out. I looked around the crowd as the pastor ended his speech. I saw Michael and his family as we made eye contact and he flashed me his crooked smile and I did the same back. I looked next to them and saw my dad crying. His tall body leaned over as if he was going to fall face first and a woman rubbed his back. She had a knee length pure black dress with long sleeves and black tights on. Her bleach blonde hair was pulled back into a tight bun. She had makeup running down her face and I couldn't figure out if it was from the rain or if she was crying for a woman she never met before. I looked down at my hand and studied the other hand hold mine tight. I looked at the exposed arm and followed it up to the pale face of April. She had tears streaking her bright red cheeks. I looked up into the sky thankful that my tears mixed in with the rain above us.

The service was over and random people I’ve never met told me that I was in their prayers and how sorry they were. April never left my side the whole time. After all the people were done saying sorry I turned to April's father and thanked him for letting me stay at his house. He hugged me and said that it was no problem and to stay longer if I needed it. I thanked him again as I was interrupted by a familiar voice saying, “Lukey, I’m so sorry.” I turned and faced my father I haven’t seen in years. He looked older, like a lot older, with his salt and pepper hair gelled back and his black tux soaked in rain water. He had a freckle on his chin that always drew my attention first.

“It’s okay. It’s not like we could have done anything.” I sighed.

“I know.” he paused and sniffed really hard, “I just want you to know that we’re moving back into town and you can live with us.” he said with a tone of hope in his voice as he grabbed the girl that was rubbing his back earlier by the waist over to us.

“Okay.” I said.

The woman reached out her hand for mine and shook it hard. “My name’s Taylor, I’m your father’s wife. I’m so sorry for your loss.” I looked into her bloodshot green eyes. Then I looked down at the hand that had a big diamond ring on her left ring finger. I nodded in reply.

“This is April.” I said pulling her to me. “She’s my girlfriend. April meet my dad, Andrew Hemmings, and his wife Taylor Hemmings.” She reached out her hand and shook both of theirs.

“April, what a beautiful name.” Taylor practically sang.

April blushed, “thank you.”

“April, take care of my boy for me. We will be moving here soon. It's going to be in a few days though.” My dad flashed her a big smile.

“I will, I promise. He is staying at my house for now.” April smiled back. My father and I talked for a few more minutes as April and Taylor talked. We said our goodbyes and I thanked the pastor for everything. April’s father had to work so he left the funeral earlier. April and I walked back to my car. “Your dad is nice.” She smiled at me. I nodded. Her smile faded as we approached the car. Without a warning she pulled me by my neck and down to her height and gently placed her lips on mine. I wrapped my arms around her waist and pulled her closer closing the space between us and deepening the kiss. “I’m so sorry.” She pulled back and bit her lip looking up at me with bloodshot eyes.  She opened her mouth then sighed, "I love you Luke."

“I love you too April. It’s okay. Everything is going to be okay.” I said holding her tighter. I kissed the top of her head and we swayed back and forth in the rain. 

 ✿

Months had passed and things seemed to be looking up. I was going to school again and April and I were going strong. My life seemed back to as normal as it could be. I didn’t hate going home and although my dad was busy with work Taylor was always there for me. We hit it off from the start. I had hard times but now things were okay. Everything was okay.