Twenty Five

Isabella

"Bella wake up" someone whispers as they lightly shake my arm. I open my eyes to see Anthony smiling down at me. "They finished the surgery and it was a success. Dr. Mueller would like to talk to us" he says and I brighten up.

"Seriously" I ask.

"Yeah, he isn't awake yet but the heart is in and it's working" he explains.

"That's amazing" I sigh.

"That it is" he agrees.

We get up and walk into Dr. mueller's office. He sits across from us wearing a big smile.

"Well, I'm am happy to report that the surgery went even better than we expected. After taking out his old heart I was thankful we got a new one because the one he had... I'm not sure how he wasn't hospitalized. He should have been in a lot of pain and I'm honestly thankful he was able to do what he did with that heart. But that one is gone and he has a new one. This one is very strong and should grow old with him. There's always a chance he might need another one when he gets really old but this one is really nice. It's weird to talk about a heart like that but it was once someone else's so it's not that bad" he says.

"The people who's kids heart Nick has, is there any way to contact them and thank them" I ask.

"Yeah, we have their email and names if you would like" he says.

"I would love to be able to contact them" I admit.

"I'll have my secretary send it to you. Now I wanted to talk about what's going to happen next.

He will be in the children's hospital for the next two weeks and we will monitor him closely. He'll have more tests and scans and therapy to assure that when he leaves he won't have any issues again. It's going to be a long road to recovery but Nicholas is a strong boy. He's still going to be taking a lot of medication daily but other than that I don't see why he can't be a happy kid. He's defied the odds his whole life and I don't see why that would stop now" he says.

"That's awesome, what do we need to do" I ask.

"I think you guys are good. You're mostly paid off and the rest of the work is for us to do" he says and I nod.

"Thank you... so much" I say.

"Of course, glad we got to help one of the good ones keep living" he smiles.

Later on Nick wakes up and they tend to him before we are allowed in. He had a huge scar down his chest but you couldn't tell with the smile he was wearing. He had his scare crow next to him as he played with it.

"Hey Nicky" Anthony says and he perks up.

"Anthony! Izzy! Man am I happy to see you" he says.

"Why is that" I ask.

"I love seeing you guys. You make me happy" he shrugs.

"Well we're happy to see you up and talking. You got a pretty cool scar there" Anthony says sitting on the bed.

"It's so awesome! I can't wait to show everyone" he claims.

"Great, now I won't be able to get you to wear a shirt" I tease.

"If my muscles can't get the girls then I can show them my scars... right Anthony" Nick asks and I turn to him.

"I have no idea where he heard that" Anthony claims.

"You told me, remember" Nick whispers and I shake my head.

We sit around and talk for a little until there was a knock on his door. I look at Anthony and he gives me a wink. I knew it wasn't the doctors, they don't knock. They come in and out whenever they need and we let them do what they will with my brother. Anthony gets up and opens the door to reveal my best friend and Jonathan there holding hands. Wait... they were holding hands.