Part 6

We continued on northward. The air was colder here, much colder than at home. If they managed to reach their destination, they would be close to Canada to ride a boat there. But, Cindy knew that they couldn't get there even if she wanted. Not with all the zombies surrounding the place.

Earlier in the store, she had gotten a call from her parents. She picked it up and held it to her ear as if it might never hear their voice again. When her fathers voice was on the speaker, she felt so happy she almost cried.

"Honey, where are you right now? Are you hurt?" asked her father.

She swallowed down her emotions and said, "We're fine, dad. Its just a little scratch or two." She told him about what happened.

Then she told him her plan. "We're headed to the private cabin that you own. We have plenty of food stored there and its away from the city. Away from all the zombies."

That came as a shock to him. "A-are you sure about that? Its still pretty far if you are headed there."

Cindy replied, "Yes, its our only chance of survival if we make it there. You and mom have to get there too."

"B-but...right now...we're with some very important people and we're going to this special place that the government has provided. Its kinda top secret stuff but...you get the picture. Its safer than that silly place you're going to anyway. You have to come with us. I'll send someone to go get you."

"Dad you don't have to-"

But he cut her off saying, "I'm trying to protect my only daughter and I want you to be safe! Please, mom is worried about you too."

She knew disobeying her parents at this time was likely to upset them, but she had done it before and she wasn't really going to stop there. Just then, Genna came around the corner with bags of food and other things while also crunching on a snack. "Hey, I found a gun! Um, who are you talking to?"

But Cindy ignored and said, "Really?!"

"What? I was hungry, m'kay? I deserve some food at least." She frowned at the phone in her hand.

Cindy whispered into the phone hurriedly, "Sorry, I have to go." But before her father got a chance to reply she hung up the call.

"So...what's that about?" She hesitated at first but she couldn't lie to her friend, so she said, "Just my parents...they're going to this place that's supposedly safe from the zombies."

"Should we go? I mean we wouldn't have to fight for food between ourselves if we run out. The government could provide for us."

Cindy considered that it won't be so bad to stick with her parents, but she didn't want to trouble them any further. "I told them where we're headed. They said they're going to send someone to come get us. Once we reach there, we should stay put 'til someone arrives. Oh, almost forgot to tell you where it is." Then she brought out her phone and opened the map to show her where they were going.

(Back to the present)

Cindy was surprised that the driver hadn't objected to helping them go where they wanted. But the world had gone to shit with flesh eating zombies all around and there was nothing they could do. They'd passed many, some had tried to chase after them, but the driver was going faster than the speed limit. Both she and Phineas felt nauseous and might have thrown up with all the sudden twists and bumps in the road.

Luckily, they managed to keep whatever they'd eaten from the store in. Phineas still wasn't talking to her or anyone after what had happened. She didn't want to push him, for he might lash out at her. Cindy might have done the same if she was in his position.

However, the sudden break in the silence almost made her jump. "Where did you learn how to shoot a gun?" asked Phineas.

"All of a sudden you wanna talk?" Cindy felt furious at him for keeping silence until now. He just looked down at his feet, shutting his mouth.

"I was just asking," he said dryly. "This isn't the time for jokes, Phineas." Cindy punched his arm playfully.

"Ow, that hurt." He finally gave a small smile on his face. "You big baby," she retorted. Then she gave him the answer. "Wow, I didn't know you and your dad were such a bad ass. Remind me not to piss him off." Cindy almost burst out laughing, but that might attract the zombies to them.

She wanted to settle the ice between them, so she said, "Look, we are your friends. We've been through so much in the past few hours. You shouldn't blame it on Genna, it wasn't her fault the car came out of nowhere. But, don't let your mom's death burden you. Just...we can get through this together."

He sighed deeply, then said softly, almost to himself, "Okay." I pulled him closer to comfort him. He slowly let out his memories with his mother, both good and bad. Cindy gave him a shoulder to cry on, which was all she could offer him at the moment. Including some tissues, which the driver happily obliged.

Hours went by, the sky turned pinky-orange from the setting sun. Cindy and Phineas were both tired but continued to look as the light of day faded into darkness, lying against each others shoulders.

Once the sun went down, all was dark. Simon told them (mostly Genna) that we'd all needed rest after a few hours drive. He stopped the car, and we passed the snacks around to share. The crunching of the food was probably loud enough to wake the undead. Thank god there weren't any of those things around.

We ate the food within the hour and got back on the road as quick as we could. However, this time I asked the driver to let me have the wheel instead. He protested at first, but I knew the way better and he needed to rest as well. "Fine, but I'm seating in the passenger seat."

I shrugged, "It's your car, you can do as you wish." He walk back to the car when I said, "Thank you. For helping us when most people wouldn't." His only response was a curt nod.

Driving down the dark road into the forest, there were less lighting than the highway. The headlights were the only source of light we had. Further on, we saw a light in the distance shining onto a large gate. No signs of the living or dead.

"Crap, I forgot there were supposed to be rangers around protecting the area. And we need a key for the gate."

"So...we have to go out in the dark and look for the ranger?" asked Simon, shaking at the thought. "You should've thought of that before we came all the way here."

"I'm sorry-" But before she could finish her sentence, a sharp growl pierced through the night. Coming closer with each breath. "Oh shit, the gun's in the back. Genna, do you know how to use it?"

"I...I think so. You just pull this right?" The growl came closer, then the shape of a man was rushing toward them. His jaw wide open, ready to take a bite. Genna screamed and nearly lost hold of the gun. The man grabbed on and started to climb in.

Phineas kicked with his feet, trying to shove him but he bit his shoe off. Genna aimed the gun and pulled the trigger. She missed and was almost pushed back by the recoil. She aimed again and found its mark. The man went down with his face blown off. Phineas hopped out and leaned over the body.

"What are you doing?"

He pointed to the badge. "Look, its a ranger. That means he might have the keys." He reach around in the man's pockets until he found a ring of keys. He went over to the locked gate and tried each of the keys. Finally the lock clicked and the gate was open. More growls were heard in the distance, getting closer to their location. Phineas pulled it open and gestured for them to hurry in. They made it just in time for Phineas to lock the gate. Several zombies crashed into the fence, reaching and snarling for their midnight snack.

They moved on and reached the large houses enough to fit a whole family. Cindy heaved a sigh of relief. At least for now, they were safe from the zombies.

-

(A/N: heyo its another somewhat long chapter again. Will get to the ending soon. Much thanks to whoever has read this chapter and other chapters. Also thanks to those who supported me to write my own lame story...anyway, hope u all enjoyed it 😁)